So Cal to Nor Cal

I'll be in San Diego in a week or so then fly to Oregon. Does anyone know of "preferred" routing? I plan to file IFR just for handling purposes but don't want to be vectored all over the map. I'll file for at least 6000 but would like to go /G direct to KMCC for fuel.

Comments

• Where in Oregon are you going? That might determine routes of travel. I used to live in NE Oregon - VERY beautiful country up there.

If you are looking for site seeing, you may want to make a visit near Fresno to go see the Sequoias and then almost straight north to South Lake Tahoe instead of KMCC. Both places offer spectacular scenery and are great to spend a day or two. Depending on where you are going in Oregon you can branch off or continue north from Tahoe.

Oregon's coast is amazing and there are many small airports along it, as well as small airports throughout central and eastern Oregon.

Martin
  • Martin,

I'm going to Corvallis in the Willamette River valley. I go there a couple of times a year and had planned to be there this past week then go to San Diego but the week-long airmet for icing 6000 an above, mountain top obscuration, etc. in Oregon and Idaho caused me to reverse my course this time.
  • Sac,

That sounds like a good plan! I'll certainly consider that as an option as I am going to be at KMYF, Montgomery Field. I've had suggestions of the coastal route but not being familiar with the area makes that one more "challenging". I agree about KSAC...I hadn't looked at that airport yet. Thanks for the tips.
  • I just flew into KSAC. Nice airport & good food. I had a 300.00 breakfast. Only thing I don't like but they seem to be everywhere are all the homes in view as soon as you depart. Atleast from 30. Easy to get in & out of.
  • Well my trip is over. I had wonderful advice from a bunch of folks but because of the "June Gloom" (marine layer coulds) at KMYF (San Diego) and LAX the planned VFR corridor route was a no-go. So I filed IFR and never got to see the cities! I finally got to see the ground northeast of LAX.The controllers were very helpful allowing corners to be cut whenever possible to shorten the flight path. Fuel stop at Red Bluff (temp was +33 C!) came after only 3.7 hours including the climb to 10K out of KMYF. Fuel cost at KMYF (self serve) was $5.74 and $5.80 at KRBL.

Thanks to all who offered routing suggestions. Maybe next time I'll get to use the "shore-line"route!
  • I flew in/out of Montgomery a few months ago same concern. You will be vectored to p/u part of this route: Mission Bay--Oceanside--Seal Beach--Lake Hughs---Nor Cal. There is an airway that connects this and it is a "standard" way to get piston traffic in/out of Socal. You can try for 6k and they may climb you to 10k. It is easiest to fly IFR in Socal unless you are pretty familiar with local "customs".

In Nor Cal any of the central valley airports (Modesto, Stockton, Sac Exec,) are class D with easy fuel. If you dont want class D try Tracy, Willows etc. Never have eaten at any of them.

Remember the new Hanford MOA in central cal.

Kevin