Flying across the Southern US

I'm getting this urge to get in my plane and fly to Florida. I'm in San Diego, CA. I want to spend several days flying up and down the state and do some SCUBA diving in the Keys (not on flying days, of course). I have gone back and forth on flying commercial and renting there, or doing this trip in my Cherokee 180. Something keeps telling me that it would be awesome between Galveston Bay TX and Orlando and that I shouldn't miss that part, but flying through AZ and NM along the Mexican border sounds really boring to me.

My questions to those who can answer: Is this worth it? and, what's the best time of year to attempt it? I'm VFR with a 3-week vacation window!!

Andy

Comments

• I would wait until you are IFR rated. That being said, I did several Orlando to Green Bay trips while only VFR, but the last one scared my wife to the point that she told me no more trips till I was IFR rated. (Used PIC to get my IR after that.)
    Anytime after noon during the March to October months, you will find yourself at 1500' in a very rough ride in Florida. Smooth months are November to February, but you could be grounded for a couple of days as that is when the cold fronts actually make it to Florida. With an IR rating, you can climb above the smaller stuff and get a smooth ride by going between the tops.
    You might want to schedule this for a stop at Sun-n-Fun.
  • We bought the warrior in San Francisco and flew it home to (at the time) New Orleans. I find west texas interesting from the air actually. The topography is interesting in several parts. Flown from Houston to Eloy, Az several times and don't find it boring.
  • We flew a Warrior VFR from southwest Michigan to Fort Myers three years ago and it was a terrific, memorable experience. Jim's right, the key is flexibility. We did not do the flight to make good time, we did it for the adventure. Because it was June, we simply did not plan to fly during the afternoon at all. If the weather got lousy (and it did), rather than push it, we simply landed, tied down, and enjoyed the local hospitality. We made lots of stops along the way, saw a lot of interesting and unexpected things tucked away at the airports between here and there, and met a lot of terrific people. If you have the time, a trip like that can be a great experience. If you're looking for an efficient alternative to the airlines, however, think again.
  • Here is why I suggested an IFR rating.
    Not because he should fly IFR, but because of his tight schedule. He said "vacation time". To me, that implied that he will have to schedule it in advance. He could easily be delayed on departure and end up using more than a week of his vacation before he even get's to Florida. Then, he has the same problem on the return. He could have to wait out two separate frontal systems on the way back. He could do all this and end up with only a few days in Florida.
    At the same time, he could go to his boss and schedule his summer vacation and have the best three weeks of weather. But that would take a lot of luck.
    An IFR ticket gives you the ability to not have to worry. It might even be better to schedule (someone like) PIC for his first week of vacation, then fly to Florida for the other two weeks. Less worry about the return and he could really enjoy Florida knowing his schedule is not weather dependent.
  • I second the motion. Go for it and have a good time.
    I don't have an instrument ticket and just got back from Oshkosh Wisconsin and I live in New Mexico.
    Weather was an issue that had me divert and land once due to thunderstorms and the second time coming back due to lowering ceilings.Listen to flight watch on 122.00 and enjoy!
    Also while in Oshkosh I saw a new portable GPS unit from Bendix King with weather for $1200.
  • I have crossed the country VFR 5 times. Four times in an Arrow 180 with my family. Once in a C-150 with only one radio and nothing else. It was a while back, but those experiences will always be with me and my children.

I am also in San Diego and planning another trip to the Midwest and East Coast this Fall in our Archer II. By the way, I got my ticket in 1958 in a 1946 Taylorcraft.

Go for it.
  • Do it after IFR ticket. Likely to get some enroute IMC which would be good for new IFR pilot. In cockpit weather with XM satellite such as Garmin 496 is a must for any "cross country flights, even 200miles. Knowing where you can go and stay clear is great.