NJ to Atlanta - is Coast line travel feasible?

Hello All,

Can one, or how does one fly from NJ to Atlanta and fly mostly down the Coast? If not, what route do you recommend for the trip? Obviously, I have to get south of the ADIS, but if I stay east, that shouldn't be a problem.

I have finished my leave in the North, am now checked out for VFR, and received my BFR. I plan to fly my Cherokee from NJ to Atlanta (actually just south of Atlanta). Any advice or good places to fuel or just stop would be great, too.

I start my ifr in 12 days.

Thanks,

Martin

Comments

• Martin,

I make the Atlanta - Danbury, CT run once or twice a year and like to follow the Smokey Mountains / Shenandoah Valley / Poconos as much as possible. It's a pretty route in nice weather and I find a more rugged landscape underwing to be more interesting. The only downsides are a little more turbulence if you're down low and the more limited emergency landing field options. I recommend avoiding the Washington ADIZ, and be sure to file a flight plan and get flight following.

Getting your IR will really pay off if you plan on lots of x-c flying.

I'm based in Cobb County at KRYY, on the NW edge of the Atlanta class B airspace. PM me if you want to discuss specifics.