Most intersting airports on my wish list

Here is my list of some of the most interesting airports and places on my wish list to visit.
Telluride Colorado, high elevation airport with one way in and one way out, a great town surrounded by 14,000' peaks.
Sedona Arizona,Red rocks and the airport is like landing on an aircraft carrier.
Lake Co airport,highest airport in the country with a pattern altitude of 11,000'(GULP).
Aspen Colorado, a must see.
Following the Alaskan highway which has a series of airports constructed during WWII,I would like to return via the ditch flying down to Vancouver and then touring the San Juan Islands before returning back home to New Mexico (which ain't a bad place to fly).

Comments

• Frank,
    I love the San Juan islands and in my previous life as a sailor I've sailed through the islands on my sail boat for a month.My wife and I almost moved to Orcas Island when we where looking for locations for the business. We spent Xmas in Westsound on Orcas and that was incredible too.Someday I would love to fly my Cherokee around the islands and enjoy the various airports the islands have to offer.You are lucky living in that region of the country,you have island hopping and mountains to the east of you plus the mountains start at sea level, what more could a pilot ask for (a Piper Matrix maybe)?
  • Hi Mountain Pilot Wrote:
    > Alex...
    >
    > If you are coming up to Colorado to try out those
    > airports, also try Creede Colorado- 8600 ft and in
    > a valley that requires you to climb up to 11k+ or
    > fly down a very narrow canyon that gets down to
    > 1/4 mi. wide. Business jets fly in and out of
    > here. General Dolittle trained his Toyko bombing
    > pilots here so they will know how to land in the
    > China Mountains where they were scheduled to land
    > at. If he could fly B-25's out of here a Cherokee
    > has no problem !
    >
    > Rick at KMVI

Rick,
    I've flown into Mineral/Creed Co over the last labor day, a friend of mine owns a B&B in Lake City and he has a dirt strip at his B&B but it's short and high so I decided Mineral was a better choice, still Mineral had density altitude issues which I watched over a period of a week, the conclusion was to leave no later than 9AM with half fuel, light on luggage and two people, we used about half the runway then used the valley to climb to 11,500 before heading over the plateau next to the canyon that you are talking about. What a spectacular area to fly into and Wolf Creek Pass is a nice way to hop over to Stevens in Pagosa Springs.
    While we were at the B&B we took off at the dirt strip the elevation is 9,400' at standard temperature which is 27 degrees, fortunately my friend has a Cessna 182 turbo and with three on board it wasn't an issue, flying through 14,000' mountains we worked our way over to Telluride but we didn't land. We are planning another trip over to my friends B&B you should check it out online, the name of it is The Old Carson Inn, its pilot friendly and if you can't land at his strip you can land at Mineral and they will pick you up. Be prepared to talk airplanes and also for a trip off of their strip in the Cessna. Maybe you can plan on a trip over Labor Day; we will have a lot of pilots flying out of Albuquerque to make this trip.
    Cheers,
    Alex