Flying Through Canada

Hi,

Can anyone tell me who to contact or what I have to do, to take off from the Detroit(USA) area, cross Canada, and land back in the USA without landing in Canada?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Comments

• For VFR flight, you need three things:
    1. 2-way communication with ATC for the border crossing.
    2. A discrete transponder code.
    3. Active flight plan.

Selfridge approach (119.6) usually handles aircraft passing across the border on the MI side. You'll want to talk with Buffalo on the NY side. En route advisories will usually be given by Cleveland Center or Toronto Center, if you want them.

That's it. We've done this trip several times in the last couple of years with the most recent trip being last week. Have fun and don't forget to fly over Niagara Falls while you're at it!
  • Great info!! Thanks alot Chris.I will follow your lead.

Thanks again,
    Dave
  • Dave:

Per Leigh's comment: you'll want your passport along just in case, too. And check the weather carefully to minimize the likelihood that you'll have to put down somewhere en route.

In the interest of full disclosure, you might want to check out this old thread regarding radio licenses:

http://forums.piperowner.org/read.php?8,71947
  • Thanks for all the info everybody.Much appreciated!
  • Leigh - I haven't met anyone yet, and we thrashed this topic through pretty thoroughly a couple of years ago.