Cherokee National Fly-In (Osage Beach, MO)

http://www.cherokeeflyin.org/GenInfo.html

Is anyone here planning on going to this fly-in at Osage Beach, MO?? I have never been and think it would be fun! :) I just happen to have that weekend free from employment responsibilities!

Comments

• Something to think about. A good warm up for C2O, GTO and OSH
  • Flygirl, thanks for the heads up on this. I would love to go but it's about 800nm from PIE. I'm planning to fly to OSH this year so will probably pass on this one. Maybe next year.
  • Blah, 800 miles is a long cross-country for just a weekend fly-in! I think that I would save that for Airventure also. I had one of those when I went to the Bahamas last month... and that was just to get to the place where we were all meeting to start the actual flight to the Bahamas! You'll be coming my way for Airventure, but the rest of the year, I wish that I lived closer to KPIE. I'd spend my weekends in the Bahamas! :)
  • Sounds like fun. I'm going to put this on my calendar and try to fly in for this. I'm new to the group as I just bought a '78 Archer a couple of weeks ago. And distance definitely isn't an excuse as I'm in Missouri.
    Jeff
  • Congrats Welcome to the world of aircraft ownership!! Hope to see you at GTO We always seem to have a great time. Hope you can make it.I am at I39 in ky stop by anytime.
  • Thanks Major -
    I will look at the possibility of going to GTO also - and when I get to the Kentucky area I'll definitely stop off at the Airport there in Richmond and look you up.
    Take care. Jeff
  • Last year was my last to the Osage Beach flyin. Didn't enjoy it, except for the chance to spend some time with Art Mattson.
  • :( Cross post from Cherokee Chat.... this fly-in has been cancelled for this year. :(

2010 Cherokee National Flyin - Cancelled
    Posted by Linc(Iceman) on May 6, 2010, 6:47 am

The Flyin at Tan Tar A for June has been cancelled. It seems like all of the wrong forces combined this year so that the committee was not able to pull this thing together. In fact, only one committee member would have been able to attend for certain. We have every intention of putting this thing together for 2011 and we are working on that. We apologize to all who were planning to attend and hope to see you in 2011.

Yes, we still plan on having 2011 at Tan Tar A unless someone can suggest a new destination.
  • Doesn't surprise me.
  • Well, Jim... I guess that leaves Gaston's! Are you going to be there??

I luv that "between the trees" thing on final! I watched that three times and wasn't tired of it yet. :)
  • I must be miszing something. What's unusual about the final?
  • Well, on the video it looks like those trees are about as wide apart as the wingspan of my airplane! Perhaps not... maybe when flying in it is actually a whole lot different, but never having done it, it looks like a big deal to me. Grass strips are a big deal to me anyway, I can count the times I have landed on one on two hands and not run out of fingers... add those trees and I would have to think really hard about how badly I wanted to go to that fly-in on a big crosswind day. :(
  • It's not as hard as it looks. Due to some years of search and rescue flying, to this day the majority of my landings have been off-field so grass strips look like international airports to me :-)

Generally, if you have trees right at the end of the strip, during strong crosswinds you'll slip in over the top of them to avoid the burble. If you don't have a crosswind, you don't need so much clearance. And, from memory Gaston is pretty long so you have some room for options. Gaston is about 3200 feet long at an altitude of 480 feet, and I fly off a 2600 foot strip at about 425 feet, so they sound similar to me. Caveat -- I would not depart fully loaded on a hot day.