Bike rack in lieu of back seats?

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry a couple of bikes in my '73 Challenger (with the 5" stretched fuselage). A friend asked, "Can you take out the back seats? What about putting in a couple of fork mounts behind the front seats?"

I haven't pulled out the tape measure yet; maybe when I do, I'll realize this is a non-starter. At first glance, though, it seems like there might be some merit to the idea.

Has anyone else tried this? Am I missing something obvious about why this would be a horrible idea?

Comments

• I have an early (short) 235 and do it all the time. I made a carefully shaped plywood "Cover" that keeps everything protected while the seat is out. You can't have any screw-ups there, so be sure whatever you do it will be up to the job. I made a couple metal pieces out of tube and bar stock that bolt to the rear corners and simulate the seat frame so the cover snaps into the factory clips but your plane may be different in that regard. I've heard some Cherokees have a plywood cover under the seat from the factory.
  • Yeah, my rear seat base is carpet-covered plywood. Front of seats are "tabs" that slide into a groove; when front tabs are seated properly, the back tabs snap down into spring-loaded clips.

My thought was that if the dimensions work out properly, I might be able to just drill mounting holes for the fork mounts in a spot that would be hidden when the seats are installed (if the stars line up, maybe the fork mounts could even remain in place when the seats are installed, but that's probably too much to hope for). Existing baggage straps might work to keep rear of frame securely anchored...
  • Keep in mind that there are control cables under the floorboard -- it's best if nothing sticks down through those holes.....
  • Very good comment--thanks for the reminder.

I participated in my annual in an effort to get to know my plane better, including removing the interior, so I'm familiar with how that part of the plane is laid out. If I go this route, I'll ensure there's clearance between any protrusions and the control mechanisms, and take measures to ensure the bike mounting hardware stays firmly in place so I don't end up with nuts rattling around among the pulleys and such.
  • ScottECS Wrote:
    > You will want to have some adjustability on your forkmounts(a little left/right forward/backward etc.)

Many thanks for your response. I had not considered leaving flexibility in the forkmount placement, but that makes good sense. Nice to hear from someone who's implemented that idea with good results! Gives me some confidence to move forward on it, if the dimensions for my plane and bikes check out.
  • I was told by my mechanic that taking out seats and would go against the way the plane was certified and therefore seats should not be taken out. I have an 1977 Arrow III and want to do the same, but now i wonder if legally can.
  • The rear “bucket" seats (not bench) are removable with no tools at all. Check your equipment list and I think you'll find the rear seats are "optional".

To be legal, all you need to have is a W&B that up to date with the seats removed.

PilotKris
  • Buy a folding bike - they fold in half and come with a bag.