Yoke mount GPS

I am also looking to possibly invest in a yoke mounted GPS mostly for the use of XM weather. I have a panel mount Garmin 430 that is great for navigation but would like the added situational awareness XM weather could add. Any suggestions?

Comments

• If you have the money, the Garmin 696 can't be beat.

If not, a used 496 offers allot for the money.

I'd stay with Garmin as their handhelds function very much like your 430 so you don't have to learn a whole new way to program your handheld.

There are people on here who love the tablet PC/PDA based "systems" but I really would not recommend them. I want my back-up system to be intuitive to use and bulletproof in construction (not dependant on a bunch of cables/Bluetooth/finicky operating systems).

Try this test:

From being stored inside your flight bag, how long before your GPS is up and running and giving you navigation information?

PilotKris
  • I've had a *96 and an Aera 560, though both were panel mounted. I much prefer the 560.
    JimC
  • PilotKris Wrote:
    > From being stored inside your flight bag, how long before your GPS is up and running and giving you
    > navigation information?

From a guy with no experience using a portable GPS, I'm surprised by this question. I always envisioned having my EFB/backup GPS configured and ready to go before starting the engine. If it took the box 10 minutes to boot up and get a fix, that'd be no problem; I could push the "ON" button and go do my preflight, and it would still be ready before I was. (I'm also assuming I'd have it plugged into the cigarette lighter once the engine was on.)

So startup time doesn't seem like a significant metric to me. What am I missing?
  • Or you can put a 496 down out of the way like this...
  • Didn't know the I-fly had XM weather...
  • How did you mount it below the throttle quadrant?
  • I used the standard cradle it comes with adapted to an aluminum bracket I made that mounts to the screws that hold the cover on the quadrant. I put a permanent power supply from the avionic master buss... and a GA56 external GPS antenna on the top of the plane.

I made another mount for a buddy. If you want I'll take a pic of it for you. Mounted down there it is out of the glare, has no wires draped all over, and can be seen well by both pilot and co pilot. Not to mention its glow does not interfere with your night vision of other things...

It can still click out in a matter of 30 seconds if you wanted to remove it.
  • If all I am looking to do is augment my 430 with weather, etc, would the 396 be a good choice?
  • 396 would work. But I'd spend just a little more for the 496. Faster processor and it will display traffic (if you have a GTX 330).

PilotKris
  • I've been using Anywhere Map on a PDA mounted to the control wheel. The XM weather box is under the pilot's seat and I have a sealed 12V battery behind the seat. This set up will run 12 hours on a battery charge, totally independent of the ship's power. Both the GPS and the XM weather communicate with the PDA using bluetooth. System has been quite reliable, both GPS and XM weather. Anywhere Map is worth looking at...they have some very nice new devices for the display (not PDAs).
  • ghendr

How many components and cables are involved with that setup?
  • I know someone who has an anywhere map system with WX for sale.
  • PilotKris,

There are three cords running up the left side of the pilot's seat at floor level. One is a power cord to the PDA that terminates at the yoke after looping around a location on the lower panel (to keep it mostly out of the way). Two cords continue up the left side near the panel to the glareshield and attach to the GPS and the XM weather antenna on the on left and right sides of the glareshield respectively (secured with velcro). The XM weather antenna cord is not power, it connects to the XM processor. A third power cord goes to the XM processor, and that's only inches from the battery. The battery has one "cigar lighter" type outlet, so I got a "three to one" adapter to plug it all in.

Only time it's a hassle is when it's time to do the annual or some other maintenance that requires access to the back side of the panel. I take it all of this stuff out before the mechanic gets in.
  • I loved the 696 but returned it because I thought my plane had a problem because there was a lot of friction when pulling or pushing the yoke.
    I was flying my plane home from Detroit to California and was all excited to finally play with the 696 in the air. After several hours I finally realized the friction was caused by the HEAVY 696. Took it off and the yoke was super smooth.
    It was also too heavy to use the suction cup mount on the pilot side window.
  • I had a Garmin 296 and upgraded to a Garmin aera560 to get the XM weather. I really like it so far. Note: bought it from Aircraft Spruce since they took the 296 on trade in.
  • I use a Garmin 496 with XM and it's got a lot packed into a small footprint. Yoke mounting is easy (the plane I just bought has the mount and wires nicely done up by the shop that installed the 530. The yoke mount does encourage heads down so you need to manage that when VFR or IFR-VMC.

PK's comment on the similar user interfaces between the Garmin handhelds & panel boxes highlights a subtle but important feature from my point of view.

A buddy just yoke-mounted a 696 in his Arrow. We're going to go fly it mainly to get a look at the Aspen EFD & STEC-30 he put in. I'll post back on control forces/friction.
  • p_rothct Wrote:
    >
    > How many different types of tablet/PDA based
    > systems have you flown with or tested to make that
    > statement? Based on all your prior posts about
    > "other" GPS systems it seems you just dislike
    > anything but Garmin but have no real experience
    > with anything else.
    >

How quickly you are to judge and form an opinion even with no basis what so ever for it.

I've been using handheld GPS and GPS linked to other devices since the early (very early) 90's. My first experience was with the Trimble Flightmate Pro interfaced with a HP palmtop running Flightsoft software.

In the nearly 2 decades since, I've owned, used, played with, experimented, borrowed, asked questions of people who own them, dozens of different GPS, GPS/PDA, GPS/phone, GPS/tablets, GPS/laptop running various software interfaced with RS232, USB and Bluetooth with operating systems from DOS to Windows Vista including Windows Mobile.

However, my experience is irrelevant since I can claim whatever I want. That’s why when I state an opinion, I give my reasons for it. In my opinion, the PC/Tablet/PDA based systems lack the robust reliability to be effective tools. There are multiple failure points and modes that don’t exist in a purpose built all in one device.

The iFly is a neat little GPS but it lacks the one feature the original poster wanted, XM weather.

PilotKris
  • I've got no love for Garmin or any other manufacture, I buy whoever makes the best product.

Now you can't seriously be comparing "daily" updates of data/charts (that only changes every 56 days) from your home computer with in-flight weather (NEXRAD, METARS, SIGMETS, AIRMETS, Satellite images, winds aloft) and TFRs as they happen as well as Rush, Martha, Oprah and Howard.

2 more things prothct, XM will cost the same on iFly as Garmin and ADS-B will never happen on a portable.

You my find it "noble" to support the underdog, try not giving bad advice in the process. The ONE feature the OP wanted was XM weather, IFly doesn't have it.

PilotKris
  • I just had a thought (might be my last for the day).

An interesting metric on which handheld GPS or "system" to buy is resale value as purchase price minus resale (or trade in) value is the true "cost".

I noticed that JimC has been trying to sell his “friends” Anywhere Map “system” for a while now with no luck.

Garmin has a pretty established used market and many dealers will take your old Garmin in trade. What is the resale value of that Brand X unit? Will they take it as a trade-in if you want to upgrade?

PilotKris
  • p_rothct Wrote:
    > Yes, ADS-B WILL happen on portables,

Nope. You're going to have to have a certified (meaning panel mount) GPS to use the ADS-B network.
  • jruhnke Wrote:
    > So startup time doesn't seem like a significant
    > metric to me. What am I missing?

Sorry, I missed your question till now.

Startup time can be critical if you're using the GPS as a backup. If you've lost aircraft power (when you are most likely to need a backup), switching batteries on the GPS (actually ALL the components on the PDA/tablet/PC based systems) may be necessary. You do have an alkaline battery pack for backup don't you?

As Murphy was no-doubt a pilot, it's likely that the one time you left your GPS in the flightbag, will be the time you need it so figure on needing a complete reboot of the system in an emergency.

Some GPS (like the iFly) have no internal battery at all so you're really TSOL if you loose aircraft power. In fact, even a momentary disruption of power will cause a loss of signal and a reboot.

The most reliable GPS will have an internal battery that charges whenever it has external power (and won't cause a re-boot if external power is lost) and also has the ability to swap it out for an alkaline back.

I would also look at how the plug(s) are built. Most are just cell phone type plugs and tend to be pretty flimsy. I like to see a strong plug especially if the plug is exposed, subject to movement (like on a yoke or knee board) or likely to be plugged/unplugged often (as would be the case with a tablet/PDA).

Answer your question?

PilotKris
  • Thanks for the clarification. Those points are good considerations, but they go beyond simply startup time, and more into general availability/reliability. (For instance, a device with robust, redundant external and internal power sources that's religiously set up prior to launch would address all your points, and startup time would not be a factor.)

If there were a "perfect" solution for all pilots, I guess we wouldn't have these sorts of discussions. All depends on which scenarios you're trying to protect for, and how much you're willing to spend to do it.
  • PK

"I would also look at how the plug(s) are built. Most are just cell phone type plugs and tend to be pretty flimsy. I like to see a strong plug especially if the plug is exposed,"

Just wondering what other options are out there for the electrical connections for a portable other than the factory standard cell style plug? I haven't seen anything different, but really haven't looked.
  • jruhnke Wrote:
    > a device with robust, redundant external and internal power
    > sources that's religiously set up prior to launch
    > would address all your points, and startup time
    > would not be a factor.)

And pilots who "religiously" use checklists would never have gear-up landings...

However, in the real world, shit happens.
  • PaulR Wrote:
    > Just wondering what other options are out there
    > for the electrical connections for a portable
    > other than the factory standard cell style plug? I
    > haven't seen anything different, but really
    > haven't looked.

The Garmin power/data cable on the *96 units is pretty beefy..
  • I have done a little more research and it seems the Garmin will fit my needs. Does anyone have any experience comparing the 396/496 to the Aera?
  • I sold my 396 to buy an Aera 560. They both get the job done. The Aera will be a great device after a couple more software releases.
  • I've not used the Aera but the 496 (better and faster than the 396) is darn near indestructible. I don't know how durable the Aera is with its touch screen (and the touch screen is the ONLY user interface)

I also don't know if the Aera has a RS232 connection in the power cable like the 396/496 so that your 430 flight plan can be overlaid on your moving map/XM weather.

PilotKris