EAA Gathering at Oshkosh

Hi all,

It's been a long time since attending Oshkosh ('91 to be exact). Does anyone have any clue as to where all the Piper owners meet? Is there a formal or informal welcome area hosted by Piper Owner Society? Is there a dinner, BBQ, or something else that is low-key?

I'm just trying to get my bearings. Thanks for the help

Lars Jensen

www.scs-interiors.com

Comments

• Hi Lars Welcome back to OSH This year looks to be awesome!! Us Piper folks are going to start the festivities out with C20 in celebration of 50th anniversary of the Cherokee. Flying into OSH on Friday in a 50 ship formation. Hang ON!! Then Saturday we begin GTO at Stevens Point. Talk to Dan at POS and he can fill you in. I have been several years and look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new. Dan has compiled a HUGE list of giveaways for attendees,nearly $20,000 worth. (Sorry, I already gave him my list of one of each) Then GTO will bus us to OSH for the big festivities Chicago is playing Monday night, should be great as long as we don't get rained out. Look forward to seeing you there. Let me know if I can help with any details you might want.
  • Sounds great! Thanks for all the helpful information. I will be there Monday and Tuesday so hopefully i'll be able to participate in all the fun.

Thanks,
    Lars
  • I'm sorry but that is Dan at POS (Piper Owners Society)? Is he collecting freebies for giveaways? I might have something. I'll try to contact him through the website.
  • Sorry you are correct it is Dan at POS we will be at OSH Mon and Tues also Maybe we can talk about interiors.
  • glad u r coming should be a great trip but I am headed to OSH from KY
  • Michael Duvert Wrote:
    > Hi all, I was wondering if any one has a suggested
    > routing from Los Angeles (KWHP) to Oshkosh?? This
    > will be my first time making the trek in my
    > Cherokee 180. Thanks!

First and foremost, fly EARLY (like first light) to avoid the ever-present summer thunderstorms. On your first leg, it is important to get past the Rockies before noon, before the T-storms build.

I'd suggest heading east, through the Banning pass, towards Sedona (good first stop for breakfast), then towards ABQ to avoid most of the higher terrain of the Rockies.

Once you're past ABQ, Direct towards OSH once you're clear of the Rockies. This route will avoid mountain flying almost entirely.

Hopefully you'll have XM weather and can pick the direction that avoids the afternoon build ups (and there WILL be thunderstorms). If you don't have XM, stop at Double Eagle in NM (NW of ABQ), get gas and check the weather.

Plan on being flexible as the thunderstorms will be the biggest factor in your routing. If you're lucky, you can make it to Nebraska the first day although I’ve ended up as far south as Baton Rouge.

The next day, fly early and you can make OSH by early afternoon.

Coming back, it will all depend on the weather over the Rockies. At times, there will be a solid wall of thunderstorms from Mexico to Canada by 13:00-14:00 MST so plan on getting no further than Kansas (Dodge) or eastern Colorado (Pueblo) the first day.
    Westbound, there is also a more northern route over the Salt Lake area that will mean some mountain flying but the idea is to spend the 1st night near Yellowstone or Sturgis and cross the Rockies early the next morning and then head down the western side of the Sierras. This route really only works westbound. If you try it eastbound, by the time your far enough north, its mid day and you wouldn't want to tempt the mountain passes in the afternoon.

When are you planning to leave/return?

PilotKris