Garmin audio panel and XM radio

I have a Garmin audio panel and hooked up my portable XM radio but it cannot be heard. I think the problem is the XM does not put out enough power for the headsets. I had installed a booster inline on the xm and it helped some but the question is what can I do to make louder. I was told there is something that can be jumped in the audio panel??
Thanks

Comments

• The Garmin is not an amplifier. It needs input that is amplified. A 496 with XM does that and the volume is controlled by the 496. You need an amplifier of some sort. When you plug XM into a car for example, the radio in the car amplifies it and lets you control the volume.
  • If you do that you will have no control of the volume without also affecting side tone.

If you do that and plug in anything else like a 396/496, the alerts will blow your eardrums out.
  • Thanks, I was afraid if the Garmin was jumped it would create more problems.
  • I'd be interested in a solution that works. I can hear the 496's XM audio through the 340 if I max the 496 volume and listen really close. It is barely audible. If there's a reference for the strapping/jumpering, I'd appreciate a vector.
  • In the words of VP Joe Biden, "Whoa, hold on there ol' buddy."

If someone has a reference on a fix for this, I'd appreciate the information.

For PF - armed with that kind of information, I can have a more informed discussion with any of the several avionics shops I might canvas on this one.

Jeepers.
  • I have a 396 with output to a 340 panel and it works fine. I listen to XM all the time and the alerts are about the same volume. I have not had any problem with this setup. The XM was connected to the music input of the 340. I have also taken an XM Roadie and plugged it into the music input on a PS Eng. panel on my C150. That works fine also. I also have a small digital tuner AM/FM radio I do the same with. No problems....
  • My problem was pure 'operator error.' Selecting 'Line Out' for the 496 audio resulted in good sound quality. The 330 auto muting works great as well.