Mackinac Island

Due to rains in the last week I didn't have to irrigate corn, so I flew my wife, Pat, to Mackinac Island Friday and left Sat nite. It's a nice place to fly to if you ever get the chance. We are in NE Indiana and it is a 6-7 hour drive, but an hour 45 minute flight. WooHoo!! Also I spoke with the park ranger at the airport and on the day after Labor Day in 2012 they will be tearing up the runway and adding fill to both ends while cutting down the hump in the middle. Any of you who have landed there know what I mean. It will then be level. They had a sink hole let loose a while back on one of the taxiways and had to fill it in. And while the runway will remain 3500', it will be moved 65' to the east. He said it had to do with the approach on rwy 8. If you do fly in, the park ranger on duty at the airport is glad to whip out a large architectural drawing of the finished project which shows the changes.
The day before we arrived a Bonanza overran the runway and took the prop off. It was sitting there propless. Kind of a scary site. Well, my wife had a good time and I attached a You Tube link if you care to be bored for a while. Were on an IFR flight plan and I captured some of the audio in flight. Enjoy.
Hmmmm, I think this makes Pat 29 now.........

Mackinac Island Flight