Washington SFRA

I'll be embarking on a trip which takes me near the Washington SFRA. I'm going up to Albany NY from Fayetteville NC in my Saratoga HP. I plan to fly from the RIchmond to the Patuxent and then MXE VOR's Just skirting the SFRA. I'm not sure whether I'm going to file VFR or IFR. I'm still not completely comfortable with my newly acquired IFR rating so I'm leaning toward filing VFR. (got it last September and I am current) I haven't flown in this area since before 9/11/ What can I expect?
Thanks in advace. Mike

Comments

• If you file and fly, you will certainly be guided around anything or anywhere you can't go.

File and fly IFR. Get used to it. They are obligated to be your partner then... VFR they can toss you any time they are busy and leave you to fend for yourself. IFR they are obligated to give you separation services... a comfy thought indeed.

I file and fly IFR all the time and admittedly, most of the actual flying is in clear air.
  • Definitely file IFR.
  • There are a few ways of thinking on filing a plan...

++file direct and take what you get

++file for what you think they will allow you to keep

I find if you file with what appears to be a thoughtful plan, they will often let you fly it. Go as direct as possible, but file waypoints around DC (for example). They will probably let you keep it "as filed". That allows you to not have the "amendment to flight plan, advise ready to copy" crap that we all like so much.

Also, go higher. Many restricted areas and such are only hot to 2999 or 4999, so at say 8 - 12K you will not be routed around them. I tend to fly 10 - 12K. Gets you over most weather excepting convection... but is high enough to see buildups in isolated or scattered t' storms and they will always allow deviations around that kind of stuff. You can lean like crazy and on longer legs is most certainly worth the climb for the better fuel economy up there. Plus, in the Summer... it is always cool up there too! You might even find an interesting sunset between layers
  • Go online and take the mandatory SFRA training if you haven't already - it's req'd for anyone flying within 60nm of the DCA VOR.

Fly IFR and use V16 to go east of DC. File for 7,000 or above and you'll be over R4007 that tops out at 5,000. Be aware, there's restricted airspace just to the east that goes up to FL250. There are preferred routes and TEC routes available as well.

I fly VFR here all the time but between the SFRA, Class B, and restricted airspace it could get hairy should weather force deviations to a VFR route. IFR is the way to go near DC.
  • That's pretty much how my planned route looks. It takes me over R4007 at 9000ft. I took the SFRA course and test on Friday. It's one of the few that I've seen that requires 100% to pass. That wasn't a problem though. My wife even laminated my little pocket card. I just want to make sure everything goes fairly smoothly and I dont' have to hear the "advise ready to copy" from ATC.
  • I've found ATC in this area to be reasonably flexible and accommodating, particularly given the traffic volume and airspace constrictions. If you're not trying to cut through the Class B, they're happy to help you out.
  • I freqently fly KABE to KFAY and back, V29 V157 V155 IFR. Never any surprises, and the Potomac controllers are just as helpful and friendly as the ones down in RDU and FAY.
  • I filed and flew through last Saturday. Other than a slight diversion to avoid some bad weather near RDU everything went smoothly. ATC was great!