CHT probe help please, is the thread in sender better than the ring

I'm getting ready to purchase a EGT/CHT kit and for $138.00 more I can get the thread in CHT senders instead of the spark plug ring senders.
Is it worth the extra $138?
I know the ring style runs a little hotter and has more of a precise reading, but they tend to sometimes break when taking the plugs on and off.
I know the thread in's look cleaner, but for $138 more is it worth it.
Please give me your opinions, I think I'll order by the end of the day.

And does this sound like the best inexpensive way to get EGT/CHT on the plane
WESTACH
K31X (dual CHT/EGT gauge) comes with 1 EGT and CHT probe
dual 4 position selector switch
3 EGT/CHT probes
TOTAL FROM SPRUCE $554 (thread in senders, or $416 spark plug senders.

Comments

• Neither, save your money. It's outdated, unreliable 50 year old technology (and still expensive) and will add nothing to the value of your aircraft.

When your budget allows, buy a true multi cylinder engine monitor. I like JPI. The analog Westach has such low resolution that it is virtually useless and the requirement to manually switch between cylinders makes is highly unlikely to actually help you catch a real problem.

Airventure is coming up and JPI (and others) have quite attractive show specials. The JPI units are also upgradeable so that you can add additional features like fuel flow, data recording (which is fantastic for diagnosing problems) as your budget allows. A volt meter is also included at no extra cost.

PilotKris
  • PilotKris wrote:
    When your budget allows, buy a true multi cylinder engine monitor. I like JPI.
    Which model are you referring to?
  • I took your advise Kris and cancelled my order I had placed at Spruce.
    I found a JPI Classic Scanner on JPI's website for $795 with all probes but they say they raised their prices in June so now it's $995.
    Any suggestions,
    I started with 2 Westach guages and all hardware at $450, then a dual guage and everything for $515, now I tried for the JPI classic at $795 but it's really $995 or $845 from Spruce.
    Pretty soon I'm going to be at $2,200 for the EDM 730 with FF like I wanted from the beginning but didn't want to spend that much.
    Alls I want to do is get the best GPH fuel burn and not run too lean. My engine has almost 700hrs and runs perfect and I want to keep it like that and I thought doing some monitoring I could keep it running great.
  • You didn't say what kind of plane you fly but guessing from your posts, it's a 4 cylinder carbureted engine. If so, no amount of instrumentation is going save you a dime in fuel costs. All you need to know to lean:

Max Power - Lean for max RPM
    Max Economy - Lean till it runs rough, then enrichen till it runs smooth (assuming no headwind)

What it will do is help diagnose engine problems and, if you have FF, help you to better manage your fuel (especially if it's tied into a GPS).

The prices on JPIs website are list prices and most dealers sell for quite a bit less. Add to that the rebates JPI offers at the shows and you're allot cheaper than list. A student of mine just put an 850 with FF in his 160. I think his all in cost was less than $2,000 (that is with Oil, OAT, Tach and MP).

If I were you, I'd save the money until I could put in a full engine monitor like a 730 or 850.

PilotKris
  • The Aerospace Logic units are nice. No matter what unit, the threaded bayonet sensors are better by far.
  • Kris,
    Find me a deal like that and I'd probably buy.
    You helped me out before when I had the valve that needed to be rebuilt in the auto gear extension on my 76 arrow.
  • Next week is the week to shop (Airventure).

Even if you don't go, you can call any of the shops that have booths (JA, Chief, Spruce, etc.) and tell them you were there and the salesperson told you if you called, you'd get the same "Show Special". The same approach works with JPI as their "Show Special" usually takes the form of an extra free probe and a rebate. They will want you to send them a copy of your receipt.

Good Luck.

PilotKris
  • I was looking at these and wanted your opinion on them.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/aero4egt2.php

looks like a fairly good price for what you get.
  • I'm looking for a EGT/CHT the above is only EGT

Kris,
    Spruce said they absolutely will not allow you to order the show special, they will only take the order at the booth. And they said the price is only about 5% off list. Doesn't sound much if a show special to me.
  • Show specials:

You've got to play the game. There is no way that they can remember everyone who was at the show. You have to call AFTER (or during) the show, say you were there and were promised the "show special" if you called a reasonable time after the show. This works particularly well with merchandise that must be shipped (like engine monitors).

Aerospace Logic:

I really have no opinion on the Aerospace Logic product. They are new players and I've seen many like them come and go over the years. Insight, EI and JPI have been around for a long time and probably stand a better chance of being here years later. JPI in particular is quite good a providing support and upgradability for their products.

Things I would look for in an engine monitor are voltage, oil temp, data-logging, fuel flow and, if not getting everything you want now, upgradability.

PilotKris
  • Just talked to Pacific Coast Avionics and they will help get the show special. They said at Sun-n-Fun JPI offered $400 rebate on a EDM730 with FF and EI had $300 rebate on EI UBG-16-4
    SO end prices should be $1,750 for the JPI and $915 for the EI.
    Pretty good deals I think. I love the 730, so we'll see.

Thanks Kris, (you have gotten me to drain my bank account) But I know I'll love the gauge.
  • I think JPI also offers an additional temp function (probe) for free as part of their show special.

Again, I'm suggesting you spend more money, but I'd get all the functions you want now (OAT, OilTemp, CarbTemp, FF, MP Tach) as all the wires will be included in the wiring harness. Adding them later is pain.

I've put JPI units in all of my planes and think it was money well spent.

PilotKris
  • thank you for the info, I did end up buying a new JPI FS-450 with the airshow discount for $380and lost a Ebay bid on a single EI EGT/CHT by 2 dollars.
    since funds are low, I'll just look for another used single cylinder EGT/GHT
    I don't know how I went from wanting to buy a multi EGT/GHT to buying a fuel flow guage,
  • The fuel flow gauge is a purchase you will never regret.
  • A single cylinder gauge is a waste of time/money. Save both until you can get a multi cylinder graphic engine monitor...

PilotKris
  • Kris, your always getting me into trouble.
    I'm again toying with the idea of the EDM730
    I have PCA Aero getting me the FS450 at Oshkosh and I keep debating if I should just put it on my credit card or stick with the affordable FS450 and sell it if I get the EDM730 at the AOPA show later in the year.
    What to do, what to do.
    I still don't have any kind of EGT/CHT yet
  • It is a great deal but you'll not get your moneys worth selling it in such a short time...
  • Girlfriend is pissed that I'm tapping into her engagement ring fund.
    Had to switch back to the FS-450 :(
  • Fuel flow is handy, but not a huge benefit unless you are flying long distances, like to Oshkosh ;-) It's not going to save your life or save you big money on repairs like an engine monitor could.

I'm just say'n...

PilotKris