TSIO360 Core Value

I'm laying out some fiscal planning for aircraft ownership costs and was wondering what is reasonable to expect for an engine core value when it comes time to replace the engine.

The engine in my aircraft has already been overhauled twice. 2225hr total and 150 since the last overhaul.

Should I expect no core value based on two previous overhauls or some value based on total time? I plan to operate the engine conservatively and hope to take it to/past TBO. That'd be roughly 3800hr total time. At my flying rates, this'll be 8-9 years out. At that point the block will be 40 years old.

Comments

• Why do you care?

Core Value" only applies to factory exchanges and is totally arbitrary based on Continental's current marketing schemes. They can assign any part of the cost they want to the "core" but it doesn't change your price one bit.

Sometimes, the factory assigns high value to the cores to "mess with" overhaul shops to remove rebuildable cores from the field. Some times it's low. Either way, it’s always higher than you can reasonably expect to sell your runout engine.

Field overhauls don’t assign a “core value” but rather price the job based on certain components being reusable (i.e.: crank, case, cam) and if they are not, you pay what ever it takes to obtain useable replacements (either new, or overhauled).

PilotKris
  • PK - appreciate your perspective, as always. Simply trying to get at the value of things. Your post is helpful. Thanks.