Avoid Palm Springs, CA

No wonder GA has problems growing. Palm Springs, California makes it painfully obvious that they do now want General Aviation aircraft on "their" airport.

First, just try to contact them by phone or the internet. Lots of info about commercial flights and where to park your car. Not a single word about flying there in my GA plane. Link to Palmspringsairport.com gets you to the city's website. Call the airport number and you get a lot of selections, none about flying in by private plane. (All Recorded)

Next, I cannot determine if there is any GA parking that is not controlled by the two major FBO's on the field. They charge outrageous fees for "Handling Charge" $28.00, "Facility Charge" $20.00 etc. plus parking fees and at least $2.00 per gallon more than anyone else in the area. Almost $7.00 per gallon for 100LL. Just down the road at Thermal, it is $4.44.

Enterprise seems to be in on the game. A compact rental car costs twice as much at an FBO as it does 500 feet away at the "terminal". Why????

If this airport is supported by some FAA grants, how do they get away with this rip-off. They apparently just do not want smaller general aviation aircraft on "their" field. It is sort of like I helped build the Interstate highway system and have to pay exorbitant "on ramp, off ramp and interchange overnite parking fees".

In years past, I have flown to PSP, had lunch, sometimes stayed for a few days and been treated as a valued customer. Well, I guess those days are over and I will have to go somewhere that my business is appreciated, even thought I helped to pay for their overprice facility.

Try Tucson International or Santa Fe, NM and see how they treat single engines. I have never been treated better than at both of those. Oh, and their fuel price is designed to attract, not drive GA away. Interesting?

If I am wrong, please find out who I can talk to that might make another KPSP trip within a reasonable price range. I only have a $100,000 older Piper Archer; that does not seem to get me "IN"?

Comments

• Does Palm Springs attract a lot of the jet aircraft? If so they could be catering to them, and not to the piston aircraft. I've seen this at other airports too.....generally it seemed like a twin engine was where they drew the line, anything less than that, they would provide customer no service. At least you know where not to go from now on, and have helped your fellow pilots. It takes a long time to build a good reputation, but only a short time to ruin it. :)
  • ATLANTIC???? Sounds just like them, if so, go on ahead and give their Regional Office a call. I had to do it once before... amazing how that works, and if you have any problems with them in the future, my advice to everyone is tell them you have no problem calling regional and ask for their name... Youll be treated like a king/queen.
  • Interesting that you mention Enterprise. In Asheville the car rental at the FBO was $55.00 per day. The same car was $35.00 at the terminal. I called enterprise and asked why? The agent had no answer. I'm supposed to get a hone call from the Manager at AVL tomorrow. I spoke with the manager of the FBO and they do not get a cut of the rental. He told me that is the rate they get from Enterprise. I called Enterpise HQ and asked for an explanation this morning. They had none. I asked how they justify a 60% higher rate for the same vehicle on the same airfield, serviced by the same outlet but have to deliver the car 3000 ft. Futher away. It seems like price gouging pure and simple. Enterprise said they would get back to me with an explanation. I can't wait to hear it. I just think they feel people who fly into and use the FBO all use expensive corporate jets, we're loaded with lots of money and we don't care how much we spend so why not take advantage of that fact.(which of course isn't true.) JMHO
  • Thanks for the comments. Never got any response from AOPA, the Palm Springs Airport manager or the City of Palm Springs. Is that surprising? Next time I want to go to the desert from San Diego, I will consider Bermuda Dunes or Thermal and some rental company other than Enterprise.

Las Vegas McCarren is almost $8.00 per gallon while Henderson is around $5.00. Too bad Eclipse went out of business before I could get one just so I could impress my friends and fly into very expensive airports. Guess I will have to stick with the '79 Archer and go to airports that actually want my business, like Tucson, Santa Fe, Sedona and similar.

Thanks for listening
  • Rather than posting a complaint here, on a type-specific site, consider doing it on Airnav.com Non-piper pilots will see it and so too most likely will the FBO management.

I use airnav to help plan longer trips so I don't wind up at some airport with no fuel or other issues.

The posted comments for both FBOs at PSP are mixed but lean toward positive by the way. You will also see that at least one person, who posted a negative comment got a call from the manager with an apology.
  • Tim, thanks for the input. I will take a look at Airnav. Good idea.
  • It's also good for planning fuel stops. Put in the start and dest and range and it will give you options with fuel prices. It is as direct-line as possible so don't use it for the final flight plan if you will use airways that have lots of bends but it gives you several options to start from.