J3 weight & balance

I did a weight & balance on my J3 and am in cg limits with empty rear seat and 325lb in front seat. Why is it placarded "Solo rear seat only"

Comments

• I first soloed in a J-3. As I remember, it was because of the fuel tank location. I am surprised that it stays within the envelope with that much weight in the front seat. It may also have had to do with elevator authority. The Aeronca of that vintage was not placarded and could be flown from the front seat. Never had a problem with either of them. Someone here should have a more accurate answer. Enjoy - great uncomplicated plane.
  • It would be well within cg at that loading. Not all J3's are so placarded. Is your J3 a C, F, or L, and is its gross weight 1100, 1170, or 1220 ?
    What is your empty weight?
    See Notes 2 & 3 of TCDS A-691 for the conditions that allow removal of the placard.

Far and away the best source of information on J3's and PA-11's is WWW.j3-cub.com

That said, the 3 is far more comfortable, has better visibility, and is more docile when soloing from the back seat. I've only got 1500 hours in a J3, mostly off-field, so don't assume I know what I'm talking about :-)
    JimC
  • Most of my J3 flying was search and rescue, and most of my landings and takeoffs were on the sandbars and islands on the Mississippi and White Rivers.