Tire valve extensions

In an attempt to make it easier to access tire air valves with fairings installed, has anyone used valve extensions with any success?

Comments

• Greg: check out this thread. Valve Stems
  • I saw that. I was just thinking about some straight extensions rather than the 90 degree ones, as they look like they might be just as much of a pain. My concern was them leaking air, but they don't seem to have issues on cars - with more pressure. Maybe some of the metal ones with a dab of sealant might work. It's just a bugger digging around for the valve - even once it's on the bottom. I didn't think cking. tire pressure should be a major production (like taking off the fairings each time).
  • If you're considering a permanently-installed extension, then just keep in mind that whatever you come up with needs to be able to safely rotate with the wheel up to ~80kts-ish. Wouldn't want something slinging around in there and tearing up your pants from the inside, or snagging on / beating itself to pieces against the wheel fork and causing an immediate loss of pressure on the runway!
  • Good point. That's why I figured that the straight extensions that are like 1-1/2" or so long would come out just short of the wheel rim. As long as they are inside the width of the tire, they should work. I guess I'll just give it a try ans see how they work.
  • There are safer ways to skin this cat -)
  • I'm all ears.
  • mini_Nosewheel.jpgHere's one -- an airdoor that is held in place with a single hartwell latch. On this nosewheel fairing, it also doubles as an access opening for an axle towbar.
  • Aero Classic Leakguard inner tubes with 90 degree valve stems might be an option if they come in the size you need.

Aero Classic Leakguard