Help

Does anyone know anyone in the FL area that is an "expert" on Auto Gear Extender system?
Thank you very much,
Jim

Comments

• What does it do or not do?
  • JimW, describe the problem you're having and maybe we can offer some things to look at. I'm no "expert" on the system, but I do understand the detailed mechanics of it and have adjusted my own.
  • The problem is adjusting the system for a reasonable drop down airspeed. I flew with an AI while he made adjustments. He kept adjusting and ran out of adjustment at a drop down speed of about 65 to 70 kts. Could not get it any higher. When I originally bought the plane the drop down speed was consistently 90 kts. which was perfect. The AI replaced the diaphragm before trying to adjust. It makes no sense to me why it wouldn't work properly. All actions in the system appear normal as IAS is decreased but the adjustment screw reached it's limit.
    I appreciate your inputs.
  • Thank you Scott. The springs apear to be in good shape. The mechanism appears to work normally. You can follow the actions of the mechanism. The AI simply ran ouf of adjustment with the screw. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the tension on the diaphragm? What do you think?
    Thank you.
    Jim
  • I missed a post. Yes, I can come to Jacksonville.
    Thank you.
    P.S. The previous post shows "Guest" b/c I didn't realize I hadn't logged in.
  • Jim Wells wrote:
    Thank you Scott. The springs apear to be in good shape. The mechanism appears to work normally. You can follow the actions of the mechanism. The AI simply ran ouf of adjustment with the screw. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the tension on the diaphragm? What do you think?
    Thank you.
    Jim

Jim - Accessing the diaphragm mechanism, when the actuator arm is manually moved to push the diaphragm shaft into the diaphragm housing - and then released - do the springs pull the actuator arm smoothly and fully back to what would be the freefall position? If there is a weak or partial return movement of the actuating arm to the freefall position, determine if the pivot screw is properly torqued and that areas that might cause friction in the linkages are lubricated.

If no binding or restrictions in movement are observed, I would re-visit the springs to see why they are not providing enough force to overcome the pull of the diaphragm when the aircraft is flown in a power OFF descent at 105MPH.

Scott B
    Arrow II