Flight Planning

If a panel mount,certified GPS is on board, are most of you folks still using V airways in your flight planning. I am a /G, but have mostly filed plans using V airways with the idea that it's easier to have that plan in the box, then hit "go direct" whenever ATC lets me, rather than file Direct then have ATC ask me to reconfigure using V airways either right before takeoff or in the air. What are others doing? Thanks. MBS

Comments

• I am also /G. Depending on the airspace you are traversing, I do not see a problem going direct VFR. I have done this, in a modified way. I don't worry about Victors, but keeping the course as straight as possible try to avoid active MOA's and other airspace which may be congested. I always use flight flowing, when not on an IFR flight plan. Center often gets antsy about MOA's (even though we can barrel right through), even to the point of calling my attention to the fact that the floor is 2 or 3 thousand feet above me. In flight plan mode I tend to go VOR to VOR without regard to the airway lines on the chart. I would draw the straight line and then adjust for obstacles, airspace or otherwise.
  • The Garmins (430/530) don't have airways in the database so entering it means entering the VORs and, if there is a significant bend, the fix at the bend. I usually FILE the airways (especially in the mountains) but often negotiate straighter once airborne.
  • I should have been more clear in my original post - I was speaking mainly about IFR flights. Tim, glad to see that at least one guy is with me.
  • Mark,

I think the question of whether you need to file airways for IFR has a lot to do with where you fly and what the obstacles are (airspace as well as physical obstacles). In the northeast, I'm hearing you still need to file preferred routes, mostly on airways. I fly mostly in Texas using /G, and have had good luck filing IFR on routes that make sense, even though they are not on airways. What makes "sense" is to avoid class "B" and "C" and MOA/Restricted airspace, and they will give you latitude (BTW flying under/over MOAs usually works depending on altitude definitions). I find they like a defined fix (such as a VOR, an intersection, or a GPS fix) near departure and one near the destination, with some inbetween if it's a long flight crossing ATC sectors. Of course you have to be on radar for this to work, otherwise it's airways all the way. I know some folks don't like going around class "B" and "C" airspace, but if you plan a circumvention well in advance, it doesn't usually add that much mileage and is usually a lot less mileage than on the airways.

Enjoy the clouds!

Gary
  • Mark, when I am IFR my planning is the same as I posted above. FTW, KC and ALB Centers always want IFR clear of the MOA's, even if you are not flying through them. I bend my course at intersections, VOR's or whatever fix will accomodate the most direct course. Sometimes knowing the routing will suggest filing and then negotiating. Departing KDWH near Houston, for example, heading North, will generally get you a Leona Six departure. Once you are out from under the low B shelf, and talking to Houston Center, you can get direct to BYP Northeast of Dallas. SoCal leaving KRAL a Riverside joins a DP out of Ontario with an as filed usually following TRM passage, but as filed was to BLH then to VICKO west of PHX and South to KRYN at Tucson the last portion is on an airway but not filed as the airway just Vicko direct KRYN. So sometimes I am on an airway but that is just because it is on my course and not a decision to specifically file it.
  • also /G I have filed direct over most of the south west and south east. I normally load the route vor to vor following airways where it works, and skipping a few when it doesn't. One thing I've seen consistently is that as soon as I'm clear of Bravo the first enroute controller will shoot me off direct to a navaide two or three points down the route or direct to destination if I've filed well above MEA. I did read an article recently that suggested flying airways provided one more layer of safety due to the proximity of airports to co-located vor's, the second point was that in the event of a crash the search teams know exactly where a victor airway runs as opposed to figuring out exactly where the direct button was taking you. As a practice I fly the gps with the vor's tuned/identified to back it up and vice versus. In my opinion if the equipment is in the panel and not in use, it's wasted space. Additionally, having all the nav equipment running allows me to verify it's accuracy each time I fly. It's now just part of the scan...
  • I recently filed direct each way X09 to GTU. This was outside Bravo (but X09 is JUST outside Houston B). Got an airway routing both times. If you file the airways and plan fuel with that, you'll at least be conservative. If you can negotiate a more straight route after departure, the you use less-than-planned fuel. If you have a full route in the box, it's easy enough to go direct to a point further down the route.