Need Airport Recommendation for Memphis, TN Area

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good GA airport in the Memphis, TN area. We'll be arriving from the northwest, so it looks like M01 (General Dewitt Spain) and KAWM (West Memphis) are logical choices. I'd appreciate any feedback on those airports or other recommendations.

Comments

• I had this conversation a few weeks ago. As I recall, Jim C suggested Fayetteville for cheap gas. I like the idea of Dewitt Spain and landing right on the river. My routing into KMEM area (remember its Class B) is from the West and West Memphis, I agree looks attractive. Depending on where you are going there is also Mt. Olive on the SE side, however, it is actually in Mississippi. Millington is on the northside and is a former Navy installation. For downtown Memphis MO1 looks very enticing.
    If you get there before I do, let me know what your decision was and how you liked it.
  • PropFan wrote:
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a good GA airport in the Memphis, TN area. We'll be arriving from the northwest, so it looks like M01 (General Dewitt Spain) and KAWM (West Memphis) are logical choices. I'd appreciate any feedback on those airports or other recommendations.

I live in downtown Memphis, and am based at KAWM. It's about a 10 minute drive from downtown. 6000' and a sleepy little airport most of the time, but it has an ILS.
    M01 is a bit North of downtown, probably about 7 minutes by car. Fuel is cheaper, though only self serve is available, and activity is higher. There is a good bit of flight training and general traffic there.

If you're not staying downtown, then consider KOLV (Olive Branch, not Mount Olive), which is a pretty busy Class D airport under the Bravo, or any of the other airports that are scattered around the city. I wouldn't let the airport make the decision as much as I would your final destination, as Memphis is a pretty sprawling area. (It would take me 40 minutes to drive to KOLV from Main St.)

And there is no reason not to land at KMEM either, if you are so inclined. Just try to avoid it when the FedEx planes are going out. You can get a feel for the times they fly on Flightaware. It's a bit of a zoo when that's going on. Any other time, they're very friendly to GA in my experience.

Additionally, the Memphis approach controllers are fantastic and easy going and will do everything they can to accommodate you.
  • Rob, thanks! We're going to head down that way as soon as my annual is over -- providing we can still afford it. :o Right now, I'm leaning towards KAWM, but it sounds like I have several good options.
  • Boy am I embarrassed. I meant Olive Branch but have relatives near Mt Olive and got my geography twisted. You'd think having been born in TN I would have got that one.
  • Went into Dewit Spain decades ago so no recent experience.

www.airnav.com lets you search airports and you can check comments at each field and fuel prices.