GNS 496

Related to my long X-country trip, I was wondering if there is an easy way for me to program my trip into my 496 and then download the flightplan into my panel mount 430 so I don't drain the battery programing the box?

Comments

• I have not heard of an interface working that way, though it would really be handy. There is a separate set-up where you can program a data card and put it in the 430, fire it up & xfer the routes, turn off the 430, replace the regular data card, and then operate as usual.

I have a data connection between my 530 & the 496. It'll take the route from the 530 and put it on the 496. The controls are on the 496 interface page. It's handy for strategic WX avoidance planning as you can see how the weather affects your planned route. When I want the 496 as a back-up for an approach, I turn off the data interface and load/activate the approach through the normal 496 menus.

I haven't flown many routes where there were so many points that I couldn't get them entered into the 530 while waiting for the engine to get warm. If I do have a complex route, I'll get the first few in plus the destination and then catch up once I reach cruise.
  • The FAA does not allow any download from a handheld to a certified GPS. The other way is fine and Garmin provides that.
  • OK. Thanks.
  • If you spent a million bucks and have a G1000 in your plane, you can use a $5 SD card and transfer flight plans.

If you're a "little guy" who's fortunate enough to have scraped up enough pennies to buy a 430W, then all you need is one of these handy-dandy accessories from Garmin, for the special price of only $450: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=35228

Edit: plus another $50 (or more, depending on who you go with) for the actual flight planning software that writes to the card...

Sigh....
  • I would load way-points at the beginning and at fuel stops. Murphy suggests that if you load it all, the amendments and changes will make it all for nothing!
  • Seems like everybody knows that guy. Murphy, that is.