PA28R seat upgrade

Hi,
I have a 1968 PA28R-180 and I would like to update the seats to a newer style articulating seat. I found a set from a 1978 Archer and both seats articulate. I was told by the interior shop it is done easily with a field approval but my mechanic tells me he called my local FSDO office and it cannot be done.
I would like it if I can have someone that did this upgrade scan and email over the application they submitted to the FSDO office as I think they just do not want to get involved.
I am also looking for opinions

Thanks again

bhumme@comcast.net

Comments

• Was any reason given for it not being able to be done? I dont see why this couldnt be taken care of with a field approval as suggested to you already. I'd either ask your mechanic what reason they gave, or call them directly and find out whats going on.
  • The seats would change out with a Phillips screwdriver and a few minutes. I would just do it. Of course, you need to make sure they weight the same or do a W&B. PA-28 seats all fit the same track and who would know the difference? The wings will not fall off.