General Aviation Dying ???

I don't hardly see any small airplanes flying around lately, I live in the Memphis,Tn area. Seems to me that fuel prices on the order of $5 per gallons is killing off much of anyone's desire to fuel up and fly somewhere ! I can't hardly stand to see the bill when I fill up my truck now with ethanol laced fuel (thanks to the EPA for that one).
I believe our standard of living and enjoying our Liberties is quickly becoming a thing of the past. No one understands the pricing structure of Oil well enough to explain the recent gouging debacles, let alone try to explain why this country of ours has been tested like this. No one is standing up for the little guys anymore, where is the outrage ??? Does anyone know what a Boycott is ? Does anyone know how to protest ? Does anyone care ? I believe it is time for such action, the time has come for us to talk about it, do something about it ..............................................

Comments

• Everyone wants to fudge the laws of economics by simplistic means. Too many people look to blame the man behind the curtain (ala Wizard of Oz) who is secretly manipulating everything. While supplies appear to be plentiful, the other economic problems (weak dollar, incipient inflation, speculators) increase the cost, while continued consumption maintains the increase. My flying will survive this for a while and I am not planning on flying less. I have enough other distractors which keep me out of the air.
  • I wish I could buy 100LL for $5.00, try $7.49. I sometimes think the grand plan is to kill general aviation.
  • Yes, what a shame for America and Americans ......................... we have allowed this thing to become the beast that it is, we had plenty of warning years ago but alas, there was no serious efforts to make sure it would NOT happen to us again ! Why does something like Department of Energy exist ? What have they done pro-actively for the citizens of this country ................... nothing that comes to mind ! Why do things like BIG OIL companies get the final word on what is happening to us ? We are slaves to their maniacal whims and excuses and arrogance. We have been screwed and tattooed my friends ! I fly all over this great land of ours, and I don't hardly see any evidence that General Aviation is alive and well, in fact, it is diseased and sick from the ills of higher and higher prices to operate the flying machines. We have a WEAK DOLLAR and the current administration is hell bent to make sure it stays that way for a long time to come. WEAK DOLLARS mean that we cannot afford the luxuries and amenities that we USED to enjoy, because our dollars don't BUY AS MUCH as they used to ! We have been handed a five pound bag of goodies with about one pound worth of goodies in the bag ......................... like those puffed up bags of chips you buy at the grocery store, no sense to shake the bag, it hardly has anything inside it except for the AIR that was blown into the bag to make it appear full. We are LOSING our standards of living, my friends ......................... it is happening NOW, and it will continue ......................... so I have to ask all of you here ......................... Where is your Rage ??? Why can't we get something done to offset this screw job being handed to us ? Are we all that nieve and scared to admit what is happening here OR do we really know what is going on and we don't want to recognize it ??? I am waiting and open to anyone that cares to respond in kind ..................... Good night !!!
  • I wasn't going to answer this post in order to avoid controversy, but since I work in the oil industry (I'm an oilfield equipment salesman, not an oil well owner. Just a poor working stiff ) I would like to straighten out a few things.

Did you know that the United States has within our continental borders more recoverable oil than the entire Middle East? It's quite true. The greatest reserves are in the Northwestern United States around the Dakotas. However, the EPA refuses to allow the oil companies to drill there because of environmental concerns which have been proven unfounded time and again. It's the same with ANWAR in Alaska. There are also huge reserves in California but they won't allow drilling nor even the building of any new refining fascilities.

The end result is that the United States, with the largest oil reserves in the world, is only able to produce 35% of the oil we need. The rest has to be imported from OPEC and we have to pay the price they demand for it. We also have to match their price with our own oil because they hold a knife to our throats. Our oil companies know they are being blamed for the high prices by politicians who use the oil companies as bogie men to hammer votes out of the people and excessive taxes out of the oil companies (which raises the prices even more). In 1984 our oil companies tried to keep the prices low by not going up with OPEC increases. OPEC answered by opening the flood gates on oil and dropping the price of oil to as low as $9.00 a barrel. That cost us tens of thousands of jobs in every area of our business economy, not just the oilfield, and almost put our own oil companies out of business. We got the message and realized that we could not undercut OPEC and survive. So if they sell theirs for $100.00 a barrel, we have to as well.

Also, when gas prices were running around $2.80 cents a gallon do you know how much the oil companies were making per gallon? Around 11 cents. The government? Around 86 cents. And the government had done nothing to produce the oil, they just took the money by force of arms. They then blamed the oil companies for the high prices for political purposes, never mentioning their contribution to the higher prices.

Don't blame the American oil companies. If the government, national and state, would allow us to drill for the reserves we have, and the oil companies have been begging them to allow that for years, we would be import free and could set our own prices as the market would bear. OPEC would be forced to compete and gasoline prices would drop world wide. Put the blame where it belongs. On the politicans who keep us energy dependant on foreign oil for political purposes and the EPA.

Mike
  • I'm amazed at the short term memory loss. Maybe it's just "refusing to see"? Current administration? Big oil tax breaks, by the CURRENT administration? World economy destroyed by the CURRENT administration? Bail outs started by the CURRENT administration? Invasion, occupation and destruction of a nation that did nothing to us, with not one penny in the budget for it by the CURRENT administration? 6 out of 8 yrs with no checks and balances, given a ballanced budget to start, ends with 9 trillion in deficits CURRENT administration? John McCain described it as GOP being "fiscally irresponsible" CURRENT administration? Tax breaks to the very wealthiest by the CURRENT administration? I am an independant. Give credit to the one deserving it. After the LAST administration, the dog was a better choice than another 4 like that.
  • Well, alright Arrow Driver. But you might want to take into account that the LAST administration was controlled by the Democrats in the House and Senate. President Bush refused to veto ANY of the bills they sent him ( I am not a fan of his for that ). War against a country who had done nothing to us? It's well documented that Sadaam Hussein's top advisor was present at many of the meetings for the planning of the 911 attack. Less well represented in the press, but just as documented is that 300,000 pounds of yellow cake ( which is used for only one purpose, the making of nuclear weapons ) was found and shipped out of Iraq about three years ago.
  • You mean 2 out of 8 yrs had dems in control of congress don't you? 6 were out out control all GOP house, senate and white house. With not enough votes to override his vetos, a dem congress couldn't do crap to stop that lunatic. You saying George Bush lied when asked what Iraq had to do with 9/11 and his response was "nothing"? We are in Iraq due to daddy issues, and ego. Period. N Korea, Pakistan have nukes, invade? You saying tax breaks to the very wealthiest, jobs sent packing overseas, in bed with the Saudis with 11 out of 13 terrorists from there not Bush? The ONLY civilian aircraft allowed to fly on 9/12 was for Saudis and Bin Ladens family, not Bush either? No, I am not a great fan of either party at the moment. But, let's give credit where it's due. We are here because of the last several administrations failures. Not the CURRENT one at all. What do you want to bet the CURRENT administration gets re elected? Trump got you feeling fuzy? How about Palin? Give us a choice we can feel good about. A guy like Powell maybe? Even Hillary in the future? When lobbyists are involved, and money is exchanged we have no "honest" politics. Need term limits, all congressmen get paid only while in office, remove lobbyists, all laws include congressmen. As far as oil drilling being safe, and "proven", ask anyone in New Orleans how "proven" is is.
  • Rikki, the purpose of this post was to stir some feelings and get you folks to "say something" ............................. I know there is possibly those lurking that report these kinds of things to somebody but i don't care about that ................................... I am in deep amazement at how everyday Americans are going about their business in light of ever escalating inflationary products and services !!! No one seems to care, as long as they can pay for it, the amount of APATHY in this country is sickening !
    Again, where is the outrage ??? BIG OIL, not only in this country but in the rest of the world, is making BIG $$$, at the expense of those that depend on the product and its by products. Again, no one can prove WHY the prices are so high at the gas pumps, only offering up what might be contributing to the prices.
    As far as I am concerned, there is coming a day when no one will be able to afford petroleum and worse, petroleum by products ............................ if this kind of inflationary and out of control price gouging continues unchecked. We are being lied to everyday, about the situation with petroleum and I am sure we will never know the truth on the rest of it !!! Thank you for offering up your take on the situation, it is noted here. I hope more will "jump in" and say something here !!!
  • Your rant has little to do with Piper aircraft and a lot to do with emotional raging. You'll probably get more participation in your "discussion" by finding a different forum that caters more to eco-politics (or conspiracy theories) than airplanes.

No amount of posting here or action by the American populace is going to effect one iota of change in how much oil China and India will be consuming in coming years, and nothing else will have as substantive an effect on the price of oil as that. If you don't agree, fine, but I have little interest in talking further about it. I'm here for Pipers, not for general politics, economics, conspiracy theories, or combinations thereof.
  • OK, you are right and I will gladly not post to this site regarding the ill effects of General Aviation .......................... although this IS an General Aviation forum, isn't it ?
  • I flew my Arrow from Jacksonville, FL to the Houston, TX area and back over the Easter holiday. It is almost silly how much that cost in fuel. Silly.
  • The Middle East is one of the biggest importers for our Wheat, and I think we should just charge them per bushel the same price as a barrel of oil, problem solved.
  • Yes, what a shame for America and Americans ......................... we have allowed this thing to become the beast that it is, we had plenty of warning years ago but alas, there was no serious efforts to make sure it would NOT happen to us again ! Why does something like Department of Energy exist ? What have they done pro-actively for the citizens of this country ................... nothing that comes to mind ! Why do things like BIG OIL companies get the final word on what is happening to us ? We are slaves to their maniacal whims and excuses and arrogance. We have been screwed and tattooed my friends ! I fly all over this great land of ours, and I don't hardly see any evidence that General Aviation is alive and well, in fact, it is diseased and sick from the ills of higher and higher prices to operate the flying machines. We have a WEAK DOLLAR and the current administration is hell bent to make sure it stays that way for a long time to come. WEAK DOLLARS mean that we cannot afford the luxuries and amenities that we USED to enjoy, because our dollars don't BUY AS MUCH as they used to ! We have been handed a five pound bag of goodies with about one pound worth of goodies in the bag ......................... like those puffed up bags of chips you buy at the grocery store, no sense to shake the bag, it hardly has anything inside it except for the AIR that was blown into the bag to make it appear full. We are LOSING our standards of living, my friends ......................... it is happening NOW, and it will continue ......................... so I have to ask all of you here ......................... Where is your Rage ??? Why can't we get something done to offset this screw job being handed to us ? Are we all that nieve and scared to admit what is happening here OR do we really know what is going on and we don't want to recognize it ??? I am waiting and open to anyone that cares to respond in kind ..................... Good night !!!

Part of the problem is the dumb president that announced to the world (Middle East) after the gulf spill we would not allow any new offshore drilling, that message alone started the price increases we are seeing today. If you will recall when Bush was in office and prices went over 4.00 a gallon they announced a new discovery of oil of the coast of the USA and Mexico and were going to start drilling it, that statement alone started the prices to decline. To bad we don't start drilling for our large areas in the USA that have oil as just starting to build drilling rigs in those locations would help drive the prices down I think.