Has anyone flown to the Bahamas Recently?

I have a trip planned to the Bahamas (Treasure Cay) in a few weeks. I haven't flown to the Bahamas since before 9/11. Are there any new proceedures in place. I know I have to file with eAPIS before departure and return. Anything else?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hello Mike, you just missed a great opportunity to visit the Bahamas with fellow POS members. The trip was a lot of fun.

Nontheless, some important stuff:

eAPIS: If you are not up to speed on eAPIS, you need to find out what it is about. AOPA has an on-line tutorial as does CBP. You will need to file an outbound notification at least 1 hour prior to your departure from the USA to the Bahamas and receive the approval from DHS via email before leaving. You will also need to file one for your return at least 1 hour prior to departing the Bahamas for the USA. Although you will be providing date, time and location of your arrival point in the USA, you will still need to contact CBP at that port directly. If you think this is absurd, you won't be alone. Also, don't forget that your re-entry point in the USA MUST be a CBP designated airport NEAREST your point of border or coastline crossing unless you have a valid US CBP over-flight permit in your possesion and you comply with the limitations of the permit. The link for eAPIS is: https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/

AOE's and entry permit: You must enter and depart the Bahamas from an Airport of Entry (AOE) where you will complete the entry and exit formalities. To enter the Bahamas you will need 4 copies of the Bahamas C7 or C7A form. These are available on arrival or you can download them from some websites (like our member site) in advance and have them ready. One of the copies will be stamped and returned to you, do not lose it. When you fly within the Bahamas you must remember that whenever you depart or arrive at an airport where Bahamas Customs is present, you MUST get the C7/C7A form stamped by Bahamas Customs.

Flight plans: To fly from the USA to the Bahamas, you will need to file an international flight plan using the ICAO format. If you are going to file it through Flight Service, then you should ONLY file it with the Miami Flight Service Station unless you are a masochist and want to subject yourself to being absolutely miserable. When returning from the Bahamas to the USA, you will once again need to file an international flight plan. Again, I recommend that you do that with Miami Flight Service and not Nassau Flight Service. By contacting Miami directly you ensure that your flight plan information is properly received on the US side and if you are calling within 3 hours of your expected arrival time, they will give your squawk code for crossing the ADIZ. In any case, you MUST activate your flight VFR/IFR flight plan BEFORE crossing the ADIZ, outbound and inbound. The Bahamas is the only country I am aware of that allows you to file your return flight plan with Miami Flight Service, other countries normally require that you file through their ATC system, so take adavantage of it. Flying within the Bahamas no flight plans are required for VFR flights unless departing Nassau or Freeport where a Bahamian version of a flight plan may be required.

ADIZ: You must have an active flight plan, be squawking an assigned discrete transponder code and be talking to ATC before entering the Air Defense Identification ZOne (ADIZ). Usually the squawk code is not assigned when leaving the USA but it MUST be assigned and activated before returning to the USA.

Documents: Airwrothiness certificate, registration certificate (permanent, no temporary pink copies), pilot license(s), medical certificate(s). If flying an Experimental aircraft, you will need to have a "STANDARDISED VALIDATION OF A SPECIAL AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE – EXPERIMENTAL" on board. Valid passports for all members of party, including the pilot(s).

This is what I can think of off of the top of my head. I am sure that I have forgotten something but other pilots should feel free to pile on.