Warrior strut sticking

I have a 1975 Warrior ant the front nose strut as well as the main gear strut stick in the up position. Does this happen with all Pipers and or is there a problem I need to address.

Comments

• I just purchased a 180D that had the same problem. All three struts had to be overhauled. Of course, the seller is paying for that. The mechanic said it takes about 2 hours of labor per strut and $75 in parts, total.
  • If you are sure there is not too much pressure in them causing it, you can wipe them with 5606 and usually they are good for a while.
  • Super Lube dry film PTFE aerosol (or similar product) works for me; helps with sticky struts. Spray on strut tubes maybe 4 times per year, leave dry overnight. Leaves a white powder residue. Various versions of this are marketed as mold release agents. Don't get the kind that leaves a waxy coating; must dry to powder.

http://www.super-lube.com/drifilm-aerosol-ez-69.htm?zenid=b1ad8aa17aeee2c04f0005022434375a

>MikeL<
  • Sticky struts are most often caused by not enough fluid in the strut. The strut should be FULL of fluid with the strut retracted. It can be difficult/tedious to get them full of fluid. When I had my Warrior II, I cured the sticking problem by filling the strut with fluid with the strut slightly extended, then installed the schrader valve and pressurized with N to the proper strut extension. Presto, no more Cherokee Sticky Strut.