Taper Pin, Control Column, Universal Joint, SB

In order to comply with the SB, what is the sense of drilling an inspection hole. The Piper fixture for drilling a witness hole probably does the job, but it requires removal of the tapered pin in order to use the tool. If you are able to remove the Pin, then why wouldn't you just separate the U-Joint from the Sprocket Shaft and measure the distance from the center of the tapered hole, in the Shaft, to the end of that Shaft: If you're 0.19" or longer, you're OK. Since your mechanic makes an entry into your airframe logbook, the issue is thus documented, so that you would never need to measure it again. What does having the witness hole do for you? If your airplane already had a witness hole, then measuring would definitely assure AD compliance, but if you have to take the Pin out in order to drill the hole, why bother drilling it at all? Better use of your money to buy my Tapered Pin Extractor tool, for $84.00 including Priority Mail. You'll be glad you did, believe me. Fast and no damage from any hammaring. Order my patent-pending Tapered Pin Extractor at my website: <www.tuotiaviation.com>. Thank you!

Comments

• I sure wish I had drilled the inspection hole in mt left u-joint vice taking it apart. The interference fir of u-joint to shaft drove me to remove the sprocket and remove the u-joint/shaft together. I replaced the u-joint and shaft because the interference fit caused me to damage the parts getting them apart for a look. I ordered a new shaft and u-joint from McFarlane. The piper provided shaft was drilled off center (by Piper) and caused me to damage the sprocket. I am now waiting on a new sprocket and shaft. If I had a do-over I would drill the inspection hole.
    >MikeL<
  • Mike L,
    I can see how, in your case, that drilling the inspection (witness) hole would have definitely been the best choice. Thank you for your insight. Tom Tuoti, <thomastttuoti@tuotiaviation.com> .