Scooter in the back of a Cherokee 6?

Anyone have any experience/success transporting a scooter (such as a yamaha zuma 50cc) in the back of a Cherokee 6? Any advice on loading or tying down?

Comments

• Hi Skybound38. A number of years ago, I single handed-my 1969 "6" across the US and took my Ten Speed bike. Again,
    I was by myself with no intent to bring anyone along although the "right seat" was available. I also wanted the option
    of sleeping in the back of the Six as mine was a leasurely "escape" with some camping along the way planned. In my case,
    with rear seats removed, I cut two pieces of 1" plywood to fit over the "sunken floor" between the seat rows (I actually carpeted them to match the airplane (my floor was black!). I then created a bracket for the front fork of the bike (attached the the plywood false floor). Slide the fork in and tighten the bolts and used the back row safety belts to "secure" the rear of the bike. Perhaps, if your goal is to also carry two people in the back, you could cover only half of the sunken floor and but the bike to one side, leaving the other side of the rear for passengers. With the fork secured in the mount and the seatbelts holding down pressure on the rear, the bike never moved. Hope this gives you some ideas? I don't think removing the front wheel of the scooter is any more complicated than removing it from the bike? Bolting down the front fork helps secure the bike in the upright position. Bob Hart APG-Eastern Avionics
  • No personal experience, but I know of a guy that puts a Segway in the baggage compartment of a Cherokee 180. It's snug, but goes in and out quite easily. The control column is easily unmounted and remounted for use. Segways are not cheap, but then you don't deal with gasoline or oil dripping all over the interior either. The also, generally don't require licensing and are accepted on roadways and sidewalks.

VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis_ARR
    Warrior-1.jpg
    1978 PA28-161
    KARR – Aurora, Illinois
  • Hi skybound,

I carry a 225cc motorcycle which hauls two adults down the highway and provides “real” motorcycle performance. Flying to riding takes about two minutes and requires no assistance or heavy lifting. It’s convenient enough for every-day use and provides many more places to go and things to do.

This is the result of a long development project with a local Piper Lance owner. Both the motorcycle (highly modified) and loading system are designed specifically for PA-32/34 airplanes. We finished tooling everything earlier this year and we’ve been making them for other Piper drivers. If you are still looking for a ground transportation solution, we’d be happy to help.

MotoLOAD.jpg
    IMG_2557b_zpsd7d2f1db.jpg