Insurance for student - temporarily

Hello all, my friend Tom is a private pilot and wants to continue his instrument rating in a single engine Piper that his friend Jim owns. Tom only has to pay for gas. Unfortunately Jim doesn't know much about the insurance policy.
Is there anyway Tom can get on the insurance policy so he and can fly Jim's airplane without having to become an owner? I believe Tom and his instructor can fly the airplane as long as Jim is in the airplane, but that would be a scheduling hassle to get Jim to be available to fly with them all the time.
Tom wants to use Jim's airplane only to get through flight training without having to become an owner. Jim will do whatever he can to help.
I heard that Tom can go on the airplane's insurance policy as a student. Are there any options like this so Tom doesn’t have to become an owner?
I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Jay

Comments

• This is a question that Jim is going to have to answer by reading his policy and discussing with his agent. Not all insurance policies, private pilots and single engine Pipers are alike. The devil is in the details.
    >MikeL<
  • There's a simple way to find out: Tell Jim to call his insurance company and ask.

I am an owner, and have allowed a student and instructor to use my plane (with and without me in it) to finish up a instrument rating. In my case, the insurance co. added both the student and the instructor as named pilots on my policy for no additional charge.