Buy a coastal airplane?

I'm looking to buy a 30 year old, 4000+ hour Archer, and I found one that meets all of my qualifications with some caveats: first, it's based at an airport in a coastal city in Florida, and second, it hasn't been flown much in the last few years.

My questions to all you sage airplane owners out there:

It seems that the conventional wisdom is to avoid planes kept near the ocean due to corrosion issues. If that's the case, there are an awful lot of planes that'll never sell - California & Florida seem to be a haven for GA craft. Can I trust a normal annual inspection (which I'll have done for the pre-buy) to catch everything? What if I require the seller to pay for Service Bulletin 1006, which calls for a wing spar inspection for corrosion every 7 years? How bad would the corrosion have to be before I could back out of the deal (in other words, what amount would keep the plane from being airworthy?) If a lot of surface corrosion is found would the plane still be airworthy (and then I'd be stuck paying to have it treated)?

Second, I know that lack of use can be hard on an engine - the question is, would an annual inspection be able to uncover the problems caused by this, and would this make the plane un-airworthy so I could require the seller to pay for the repairs or I would cancel the deal?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Speaking as the proud owner/maintainer of a 46 year old Cherokee 180 here in costal central Florida, I can tell you there is valid reason for your concern. However, I have managed to keep my bird fairly corrosion free in spite of the fact that my tools are always rusting. I have seen much younger archers in my neighborhood that I would have run away from screaming. I am diligent in the annual application of CorrosionX and keep my crankcase pumped full of dry air; so far-so good. I bought mine from a wet field in LA but the previous owner was similarly inclined to over-do the corrosionX. I got a thorough pre-buy and took the leap with reasonable results.

Will the current owner agree to pay for expensive SB compliance? Who knows; It is a buyers market right now. Would a rusty cam constitute an immediate airworthinedd issue? Probably not. I would say, if there has been regular oil testing but it has been a while since it was changed then fly it and then have the oil tested. If iron is up beware. Otherwise I think all you can do is pull a cylinder and look. I would only go through this if the bird was really nice and really nicely priced.
    >MikeL<
    '65 180C
  • If it is tied out or hangered is another consideration. If you were to fly this bird for an hour or so, and then send an oil sample out. If it is high in iron you can assume there is corrosion in the engine. Also, if you fly it for a few hours or if it has been flown since sitting, an inspection of the filter by cutting it open will show rust and iron... check it with a magnet to see what is in it.

It is easier to look at the suspect places for airframe corrosion. Check the wing spar attach points and bolts. Water tends to collect there. The bolts are steel. You can easily see what is up there. Without actually pulling the fuel tanks, you can look at the back of the spar behind the fuel tanks with a video borescope like this one:

http://www.flexible-borescope.com/product/voscope-vs-video-scope-model-vs72-10ww-flexible-borescope-video-stik_VS72-10WW.html
    I like mine and use it all the time.

Where are you located? A few good hours can determine a buy or no buy of the corrosion type concerns.
  • I bought an airplane near TAMPA, FLORIDA one time ............... NEVER AGAIN !!! The plane had all sorts of rusty hardware on it and keep in mind that the engine is "breathing" no matter what you do to keep it protected, you are going to have a VALVE open in that engine while it is sitting, moisture is going to get inside !!!
    I would be sure to have a qualified mechanic pull off one of the cylinders and using a borescope, as previously mentioned, so you can get a look inside and especially at the camshaft which on a Lycoming engine, will be sitting up out of the oil due to its position in the engine case. If the camshaft is pitted from rust, you can plan on splitting the engine case just to remove it and take care of the problem, the lifter bodies will also be pitted from rust if the camshaft has rust. You may or may not want to fly this airplane until this kind of internal engine inspection(s) has been accomplished, getting an oil sample would be a great first way to get an idea of what is happening with this engine, get that oil sample AFTER the engine has been run up for a while. The AOA oil sample kit gives all the information needed to get the oil sample, and they will contact you via E-MAIL once the results are available. The rest of the problem is that this aircraft has been sitting a lot, not good for anything other than keeping the airframe and engine total times down, but not worth the trade off, for sure. Be skeptical, approach this airplane in a manner that you don't need this particular one, there is PLENTY for sale on the market right now ......................................... GOOD LUCK !!!
  • Not a lot to add to what's been previously said. I looked at a Gulf coast plane several years ago. The seller flew it over for me to see. I pulled the cowling and the rebuilt engine looked great. I then pulled the inspection plate on the back of the baggage compartment. Lots of furry looking ribs and rivets back there. Where the fuselage spars passed through the ribs the fur ran in all directions. No serious attempt to treat and corrosion, even remotely obvious. I passed.
  • I bought my plane some 12 years ago from a guy in Destin, Florida. (on the gulf coast) found one metal bracket under rear baggage area that had corrosion. It is a 1973 arrow. I think a lot has to do with the maintenance rather than the location. Poor maintenance and location could be bad for any aircraft. I would get an A&P you trust and o a thorough pre purchase.
    Randy