neutral cherokee trim position

My 1973 piper cherokee, with between the seat trim wheel, has NO neutral trim position marked on the replacement plastic trim wheel cover. I assume that I can make a mark that indicates the neutral position by moving the trim wheel until the stabalator trim tab is perfectly 'flat' and in line with the the rear control suface. pop back inside and mark that position. The question is that the correct neutral trim tap position? and what 'placards' are required on the trim wheel cover? I seem to remember an older cherokee had a mark for 'take off trim'....Any thoughts or advice welcome. Simon N55596

Comments

• The required placards should be listed in your POH/AFM.

My trim wheel is unmarked as well but I know that "takeoff" for most loadings is about 1/3 back from full nose down. Loaded close to the aft c.g. limit its about 1/4 back.

With the force link tab setup on the Cherokee it can be pretty difficult to visually determine a set point based on trim tab position. On preflight I just make sure the linkage is functioning.
  • No mark on mine or other PA28s I have flown. I find in my Arrow that if the indicator is basically centered, it is good for take off and climb. I tend to land there too.
  • My Archer has a ticking of about a 1/4 inch between and the indexer visible below. I set mine just forward of neutral indication. But there is nothing written for T/O, landing or anything else.