ADF

Well I finally got delivery of my cherokee 150C after a 6 month wait, and now that I have her I was wonder what the opinion is on the old ADF. Is it worth keeping in the plane or should I just ditch it. I was thinking about putting my gps in it's place.

Any comments would be appreciated

Comments

• We hot rid of ours when we needed the space for a GPS. However, it was unreliable and was going to cost some money to fix. Once my wife was under the hood with the needle indicating on course for the approach but we were way off.

If it works and you have other space for the GPS, why remove it? But, if yopu need the space or it isn't really working then of course dump it.
  • If you only have one means of navigation, it's best to keep it as a back up if it works.

Senario: Getting dark, clouds moving in, GPS portable batteries die.....You may be thankful you had it.

On the other hand if you have two VOR's and GPS, it can go. It also depends on what type of flying you're going to do. For IFR it may be required for certain phase of flight. It also depends on the model number....?
  • What ever you do, don't listen to Rush Limbaugh on the ADF while your flying or you'll end up right of course! (not that that's a bad thing!) Bob Hart APG-Eastern Avionics
  • Rush was the only reason I left mine in
  • Laughing so hard had to start over, see below.
  • Boy, don't come late to the discussion all the good smart aleck remarks go quick. I took my BFO out long time ago, other than commercial radion and pointing to lightning flashes it was just taking up space.