Should I repair a/c on a Archer II?: advice needed!

I have recently purchased my first plane, a 78 Archer II that has factory a/c. The a/c was inop at purchase but after getting it home the shop found a bad line. We replaced the line and it held a vacuum so we put freon in it and it worked! Unfortunately it only worked 3 times before the original compressor locked up. I've have a quote to replace the compressor and other normal items and convert to 134a will be about $4K! Does anyone have any experience with the factory a/c units for these planes? Am I throwing good money on top of bad?!!! The short time I had it, it was nice but I don't want to spend $4K just to find out it will shell a compressor every year. But I really can't stand the idea of carrying that weight around for nothing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Shawn

P.S. I live in Texas so it would be nice to have!

Comments

• I have A/C in my '78 Lance. In the 3 years that I have had the plane I have only had to have my A&P add some freon once and replace the belt once (precautionary, not a failure). So in my experience I have not had to do anything major every year. I am in Dallas and, although the cooling is not steller, it is the difference between being able to stay in the cockpit on the ground with the door closed (i.e., when I am the only one on board) when waiting for a release and risking becoming sick due to the heat.
  • I have a used compressor from a 1981 low hour Archer that was working when removed. Let me know if you are interested. Greg