Flying into Leesburg Executive

I have taken the course for flying into the DC special rules airspace; however, the guidance for Leesburg quirte frankly sucks. It appears to me that you contact approach to enter the Class B (get a squawk and approval to enter) and head for the Leesburg Maneuver area staying outside the DC Special Rules, switch squawk to whatever the guidance is (1226 or 1227) and contact Leesburg on CTAF. Apparently, once you land, the special flight plan closes. Appreciate any wisdom from someone going in and out of Leesburg Exec.

Comments

• the whole thing sucks......... but you file a SFRA flight plan and sqwuak 1226 or 27 as appropriate but you do not need to contact approach if you are under the class B airspace. Or should I say STAY OUT OF THE CLASS B AIRSPACE! And yes your flight plan cancels when you land. Unless if you are on an IFR flightplan then it's between you and the controller.
    If you contact one of the flight schools at JYO they would be happy to help you with some written instructions. They really don't like to see us violated because it affects them also.
    Hope this helps!
    Lr
  • Leesburg has some unique procedures, but typically you must pick up your SFRA squawk code outside the SFRA area and stay outside the SFRA until ATC has radar contact. You should stay with Potomac Approach until you advise that you have Leesburg in sight.. You will be given the typical Frequency Change approved but keep your assigned squawk code until you land. Definiitely stay below Class B unless you have been given permission to enter. Altitude Encoder Transponder is required equipment for the area.
  • Flew into JYO on Saturday below the Class B floor from the West. Kept it at a below 1200 feet, squawked 1227 inbound and communicated on the CTAF. Egress was west bound in the same manner except different squawk. No problem. Only other issue is making sure to stay out of the restricted area around Camp David.