Thinking about selling my 1971 Piper Cherokee 180 (hershey bar wing)

Does anybody know the current market for selling a 1970s Piper Cherokee 180? I am thinking about joining the POS so that I could post my Cherokee for sale. But I am not sure of the luck I will achieve in this sour economy.

I have been too busy at my job to use the aircraft so I must sell. For me, it looks like the flying hobby is dying. :(

I would think a Hershey Bar wing Cherokee would sell quicker? Or, do you think I am in for a long wait if I try to sell in this market?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Hi George, yes, it's volitile market and aircraft values are coming down. frankly, the rediculous rise in values over the last 10 years has really hurt general Aviation. I bought a 1969 Cherokee 6 in 1986 for $22,000. The same 1969 6 was selling for $95,000 in 2007! My advice would be to get your hands on a relitively current copy of "Trade a Plane"
    (probably at the local airport) and look and see what other 180's of similar years, hours and eguipment are selling for.
    Frankly, it is a buyers market right now and there is a bit mor eactivity than there was a year ago. Good Luck! Bob Hart /APG-Eastern Avionics (Previously owned a Colt, Cherokee 140 and the Cherokee Six)
  • There's little information in your post for anyone to really offer an educated opinion. What equipment in the panel? What condition of the interior and paint? How many hours on engine and airframe? What recent flight history (though it sounds like it's been mostly sitting idle, which is not a good thing)? What price are you expecting?

Planes are selling, but it's probably reasonable to call it a buyer's market right now. Nicer planes and value-priced planes always sell more quickly than ill-equipped / maintained planes, same as houses or cars or any other market.

AOPA's Vref ( http://www.aopa.org/members/vref/ ) and Trade-A-Plane's NAAA Evaluator ( http://www.trade-a-plane.com/naaa ) can help you estimate the value of your aircraft, but there are constant debates over how accurate those things are. (The T-a-P tool requires you to be a T-a-P subscriber; Vref is free to all.)

Good luck,
    Jim
  • This forum can be a great resource for many things. If you are simply trying to sell your plane, it may not be your answer. Most folks here own planes already... You might get more lookers at Trade a Plane or even listing on AOPA. You would get instant gratification on eBay, however, you might fetch a bit lower price.

On another note, planes are at a low right now. If you think you might enjoy your plane a bit, you might better wait a while. I think planes will recover some value... but it might be a few years. My Arrow is "worth" 25 or 30 K less now then it was 4 years ago. Bad time to sell. The whole aviation industry is either going to stabilize or get going. I think it will get going. The lull in activity right now is soon going to produce a wave of need for commercial pilots for the airlines... which in turn will make the whole industry blossom for a while.