New Interior

I recently re-finished my interior in my 71 Cherokee 140. I used all Airtex materials minus the Rust Oleum plasic paint and the 3M spray adhesive. The painting of the plastic is easy. And the 3M 90 adhesive with the adjustable nozzle saved a tremendous amount of time and masking. I can't say enough about Dood Stretch and his crew for the phone advice and the product they provide. No my interior does not look custom. Yes it looks great! My first crack at a headliner (and maybe my last) has a few very small blemishes and a wrinkle. I spent more time than most cutting and fitting side panels(screwed one up and had to re-buy it and Dodd had it to me in 2 days) but they fit tight and I was able to cut down on the screw count, I replaced all the harware. I was ready to replace all the in$$$ulation but it was all intact and not moldy. I as and A&P IA inspected behind the isulation and found little or no corrosion and what I did find cleaned up easy and I applied zinc chromate. I re-webbed the crew seats and streached the form fitting cushions on for a tight fit, again kudos to Airtex.The rear seats were finished before I knew it, so easy. I used new soundproofing under the carpet (left over from a corporate jet refurb) and had only minimal trimming to do. It took me off and on 3 weeks to do all this. I keep my plane on a grass strip in a hangar that is a 40 minute drive and it has no facilites (elec. water toilet etc) so the seats were hauled home for stripping and painting and covering. Also the "job" thing kept getting in the way. My wife, no guys not the plane... and I just flew to cape may and this was the first time she saw the completed project. She remarked how nice it looks and how it feels like a new plane. The smell of the new fabric is so sweet.
I work on big iron corporte jets and was petrified to begin this project, but in the end, between this forum and the advise that I gleened from you that have done this, Dodd and his crew, guts and alot of gas and driving, N566FL looks and feels like something to be proud of. Next... radios and nav equipment. I do think I will leave that to an expert.
Thanks to all that posted their interior finds and woes!
Larry R

Comments

• What was your ballpark costs in both time and money to accomplish this?
  • I had no time contraints but some folks did thier interiors in a few days to a week some with help. I had a 5000k budget. By the time I ordered what I wanted from Airtex I was into it at 3000K. I had a A&P that has done Airtex interiors quote me between 1500 and 2000k to do the work. That said, I traded down time for the money and was able to do some TLC things and learn more about my palne.
    lr
  • I would also agree with the comments about Dodd Stretch at Airtex - he is great resource, very helpful on the phone and by email. I went with a grey leather interior and charcoal carpet, and a light grey headliner for my Cherokee Six. (I can email a link to my website with a bunch of photos if interested).
    I would budget on using more adhesive than you might think! Airtex sell their own formula (which is good) - however, if you need to get another source, then the 3M 1300L is a good product.