Faulty Compass after new DG and turn coordinator

Just purchased '68 6/260, replaced the DG and turn coordinator. Compass installed in upper left of panel is all over the place. Used replacement compass also all over the place also. Other have this problem? I'm surmising that the new turn coordinator is interfering. Solutions? Different kind of compass, deck installation, window installation?

Comments

• I would recommend installing a vertical card compass on the windshield vertical bar.
    I installed a PAI-700, and also connected up the lighting to the avionics lighting bus.

If you check out Precision Aviation you can see the different mounts, they make one explicitly for the Piper:
    http://www.pai700.com/brackets/bracket.html <-- PACMO-PIPER-N

You can get these from good suppliers such as:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vertcard_compass1.php

If not obvious - use a brass threaded rod and some brass acorn nuts to anchor the mount to the windshield bar, since brass is not magnetic. Also, when swinging the compass to annotate the compass card, make sure you use the supplied brass adjustment key (or a plastic one) and not an iron/steel based tool.

You'll then have a spare hole in your instrument panel for, say, a clock or something else!
  • Hi Lennoxd. I had a 1969 6/260 back in the mid-80's ... great plane! i took six people to lunch one day! The Compass mounted in the panel is a precription for problems. it's vulnerable to the magnetics in the panel and the interference by electrical driven instruments. If you have identified the source (turn-coordinator?), you can confirm by pulling the circuit breaker and seeing what the compass does. Plan B other than moving the compass away from the panel as suggested by "bigandy" is to wrap the source (not the compass!) in a material called MU-Metal. This is a lead based metal product that "isolates" the source of the magnetic product. Spruce sells a 12" X 4" strip for $1895. You'll need
    the "experiment" until you have isolated the source, then adjust the compass. You may not eliminate all of the interference with the compass in the panel so you'll have to adjust the compass with the interfering equipment running ot
    Plan A! Good Luck Bob Hart APG-Avionics
  • That's $ 18.95 (You can get up off the floor now!) Bob Hart APG-Eastern
  • LOL!! I was thinking, $1895 for a strip of lead?