Left arm amputee, do I need toe brakes in a 1961 Cherokee 160?

I just bought a 1961 Cherokee 160. It does not have toe brakes, nor does the brake handle have the parking brake lock button on it. I am missing my left arm past the elbow. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not I'll need the toe brake conversion kit? I cannot find a conversion kit anywhere, I've checked Wentworth, Piper, Aviall. Does anyone have a kit for sale?

Comments

• I've got a '64 Cherokee 140 with the hand brake and I can see a couple of problems based on using mine. First, and most obvious is that without the thumb lock button I don't know how you'll be able to do the run up at the hold line unless yours has a separate parking brake. Mine doesn't. Even starting the engine is probably going to allow the plane to lurch forward a bit before your hand can get from the key to the brake. Another problem would be on short or soft field braking. I don't know what kind of use you have with your left arm but it will probably be difficult or impossible to hold up elevator/stabilator when applying the brakes in those conditions. Other problems might be braking in crosswind landings when you will need to keep the ailerons turned into the wind, and there might be some delay talking to ATC if you happen to be braking when they give you a call.

I would think that the brake locking button would be a pretty easy fix for a good A&P and would solve a couple of the major problems. Also, I have checked for toe brakes for my 140 and the price, with installation, that I was quoted was around 3K. But you might be able to do better. The biggest problem is that most of those parts are no longer manufactured and you'll have to get them from a salvage yard, but that is not insurmountable. Just a pain.

Sorry to seem so negative but since your safety is involved I thought I'd better be up front. I'm sure you'll be able to overcome these obstacles but my own thought is that toe brakes would considerably increase your safety factor. Next week I'll ask my A&P if he knows where to find any and I'll let you know. You've bought a great little plane and I wish you a lot of happy flying.

Mike
  • Thanks Mike! The braking system does have the T-handle valve thats locks the brakes for run-up, however, that's it. Finding a toe brake kit has been unsuccessful so far. Any help in finding the kit would be greatly appreciated.

-Rick
  • If you havent checked already, here are some ideas of places to check.

Cherokeeaircraftsalvage.com
    Wentworth Aircraft
    Dawson Aircraft
    Global Aircraft Industiries
    Air Salvage of Dallas

Just some ideas
  • I have a hand brake that has the lock out on it, if it helps, send me a PM and I'll mail it to you.
  • Also toe brake conversions pop up on ebay frequently for a reasonable cost, finding the master cylinder could be problematic.