Electronic flight bag (sort of)

I have a 1969 Dakota euiped with a Garmin 430 and use a yoke-mounted Garmin 496 with XM-weather for situational awareness and weather. I also have a Zaon PCAS for assistance with traffic avoidance. Here is the question.....I am close to completing my Instrument Rating and am trying to find the best way for managing my CRM especially if I am going to fly single-pilot IFR. The two main options I have seen are the iPad-type option with the obvious advaaantages of large screen and great apps but I would like something more yoke-mountable versus the newest Garmin 796 with its obvious down side of expense. I realize this is a very personal decision for each pilot but was wondering what everyones experience with these new devices has been especially in the IFR environment.

Comments

• I personally use an iPad with the fore flight program. It is an excellent program and I always have current charts and plates for the entire US, all for $75.00 for the year! The iPad is the biggest expense but I has many other uses. I go to one of the free sites and print out approach plates before a trip as a backup but have never had to refer to them.
  • I have been using the ipad with Foreflight with geo-referenced info for some time now. I also print approach plates as a backup, but so far have never had to use them. I also fly single pilot IFR most of the time and I have yoke mounted the ipad to the copilot yoke. With the ipad angled towards me it works perfectly.
  • How did you mount the iPad? Do you have pictures? Thanks

Randy
  • Sorry, no pics. Used RAM "yoke mount" mounting system. Sporty's cat # 4862A. Works great.

Charlie