Gascolator sump valve failure on takeoff

During takeoff, the sump valve for the gascolator on my Arrow failed! This caused a loss of fuel pressure, and subsequent engine failure. Lucky for me i had only just begun to rotate, and had plenty of runway left. I found the sump plug in the run-up area. Upon further inspection, the retaining ring that holds the sump plug in had failed, and was inside the coupling between the gascolator and the sump valve. Just wondering if anyone has seen this happen before, as it is obviously a very serious and potentially fatal issue! Thanks!

mini_09112011-1330_fuel-fail.jpg

Comments

• Glad you were able to get back on the ground safely....Im sure that gets the pucker factor going real quick. I have not heard of this happening, but I'm just one person.
  • I removed the old pot metal gascolator and installed a stevens , a little expensive but will not come apart.
  • I removed the old pot metal gascolator and installed a stevens , a little expensive but will not come apart.
  • I had a "steve's" gascolator put in too, when I saw a slight leak on post-flight in my original 'pot metal' gascolator. Now it's dry as a bone.