PA 28-236 very high oil temp Australia

OAT 32C Engine oil runs close to 112C in climb.
32C is not hot here in Australia particulaly up north where temps can regulaly be 40C.
Have checked radiator & thermo valve. Oil changed avery 50hrs.
New Motor has 200hrs
I would appreciate any help.
Julian
jbarson@bigpond.net.au

I mounted a 13 plate cooler on the firewall (new bracket and some flexible duct) instead of the 9 plate cooler. This resulted in a 15 to 20 C drop under all conditions.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Julian

Comments

• Radiator?
  • By radiator, I assume you mean the oil cooler? Also check the baffeling, and try running a heavier weight oil. Have you checked the temp bulb itself to make sure it is reading correctly?
  • How did you check the thermo valve? I had one tested by my mechanic on a Cessna 152 that I used to own and he told me that it was fine. I replaced it and it fixed my problem.
  • I have a 1966 235. I had concerns about the oil temp climbing out on August days, it would reach the low 230's(f). After much research I discovered that lycoming is perfectly fine with that number and does not suggest it causes wear or problems at all. A trick I have come up with, although a bit pricey, is to top off the oil to a full 12 quarts, even through she blows out a quart and a half before settling down. So you are sacrificing about $10 bucks in oil to the cooling god's to keep your temp below 230 on take off. I usually see about 226 using the extra oil.

And, no, she does not burn oil. at 10-1/2 quarts it stays parked there till oil change.

Bill