New forum member - introduction

Hello everyone,

I didn't see a separate forum for introductions, so I thought I'd post a brief message here. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA, and share a Piper Arrow II with a few other guys. The airplane is based here in Cedar Rapids (KCID).

I've been flying for more than half of my life, starting with gliders at the age of 14, then switching to airplanes. I am an instrument rated private pilot (ASEL), and I used to be a glider instructor (but I haven't flown them in years).

Sometime in the next couple of years, I'd like to buy an aircraft that I will own by myself for the first time. I've considered a Beech A36 as well as the PA-32 series. I hear a lot of good things about the Bonanzas, but I don't think I can fit (I am 6'3", and have tried to sit in a few of them, but there just doesn't seem to be enough headroom). So I will probably look for a Turbo Lance or Turbo Saratoga instead. A turbo may seem like overkill for flying in the Midwest, but I will take it into or across the Rockies every now and then, and being able to fly high and take off from high density altitude airports is a must for me, even if it means paying a premium for it. Besides flying, I love biking, and being able to fit a pair of standard road bikes into the back of the aircraft is a must for my future ride.

I look forward to reading this forum, and to contributing to it.

Kind regards,
Martin

Comments

• Martin, welcome. It is good to have you here and look forward to your posts. I have an Archer II and live in the OKC area. I see that we are both IR and that you are a little shorter than I am. The 'Toga would probably be a good choice for you. Last Summer's heat made DAs horrible all across the intermountain West. Saw there were several views and no hi theres, didn't want you think we are unsociable. :)
  • Welcome. I have an Arrow II that I have had since 2005. I often wish it were a turbo so I could go up higher and fly faster, but I am not certain I'd want the Conti it takes to get that.
  • Hello Martin,

Welcome to POS. I have only been here for about three months just recently purchasing an Arrow III. I have found lots of great information from both current and past posts through the search box. There are lots of great folks here to talk to hope you enjoy your membership.

Tim
  • Thanks for the welcome, guys.

- Martin