Nose bushing installation question

I have a 75 Archer that just started to shimmy. After looking at the post here I am going to replace the bolts and bushing in the nose wheel link. My question is how do I get the old ones out and the new ones pressed back in? Would I need special tools or a press to do the job. My hope is that I could pull them out by hand or maybe with a small punch to drive them out.

Thanks
Bill B.

Comments

• I used a pin punch like you would use for a door hinge. You have to be careful because some of the holes are counter-bored and leave very little bushing exposed from the other side. Be careful to have a solid engagement before tapping or you will have problems. Slow and easy.
    Good luck,
    >MikeL<
    '65 180C
  • Oh yeah, Chapparel aviation sells a kit.
    >MikeL<
  • I have a kit that I do not need. $40 plus shipping if you want it. Bushings, bolts, washers, nuts... and the tool to do the job. BTW: with the plane resting on the ground, grab the nose scissor and wiggle it. If there is no slop a kit will not help. If it is "loose"... it will. Otherwise, a bad damper... a loose damper mount... cupped or otherwise out of balance tire... low strut pressure... or steering rods that need adjustment... all can cause shimmy. flyguydon@bellsouth.net
  • I looked at the sissors this weekend and found that the nut on the upper through bolt was very loose. It was a lock nut but evidently it was not locking at all since I turned it off with my fingers without effort. My mechanic put new nuts on all three bolts and tightened them snug and then backed each off just a little to allow for movement.

I made two landings and did not have a hint of shimmy! I am still confused by the bushing thing though. I looked at mine and another archer in the hanger and both have their bushings welded in the sissors link. How would you replace just the bushings? Maybe I misundestand where the bushings go. I though that they go in the sissors link.

I don't need them now but my in the future so I would like to understand this.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • That welded stuff is not the bushing. The bushings go "in" both sides of the aluminum mount where the top and bottom bolts go through. So, if you took the scissor off the plane, you'd see the bushings still on the plane... Also, bushings go in the center of the scissor where the smaller bolt is. There is an old AD to replace that bolt that should have been done...

BTW: The bolts should not be used with nylon insert type nuts. They should have cotter pins in castle nuts. If yours was hand tight, that is scary... real scary. If the bolts came out... the second you lifted off your nose strut would eject leaving you with no tire and a real problem! The only thing holding the oleo strut in once you lift the weight off is the scissor. Same with the mains... Also, do not ever take off a scissor if the plane is jacked up off the ground. They are under very high pressure and will eject spraying 5606 fluid like an explosion. It is best and safest to release all pressure in the strut before ever taking off a scissor, however, it can be safe as long as the weight of the plane is on it if you know what you are doing...

To make the bushings last longer, whoever is doing your annuals should be lubricating the bushings. If you look at the part where the long bolts go through (top and bottom) you will see a small hole in the very center. You take aerosol lube such as LPS 2 (with the red spray tube) and put the red spray tube in the hole (it fits perfectly). Shoot it in until it oozes out both sides of the bushings. All good.