How does the automatic pilot II engage/disengage

Our piper aztec at school has the automatic pilot II installed. the roll control was disengaged when we began our project, but after doing some work underneath the panel, the beveled gear of the black servo box was partially engaged to the beveled wheel on the control column, and after moving the engagement switch on the panel to dis-engage it, it became fully engaged, and so it now requires around 16 lbs of force to move the ailerons. We don't have the automatic pilot manuals at school to trouble shoot, the only thing we haven't tried yet is looking inside the servo box with the beveled gear to see if the mechanical cable connected to the engage switch on the instrument panel has become disconnected somehow.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks

Comments

• Is it hard even when the power is off? It is a solenoid (electric) clutch that connects the servo to the bridle cables and controls. If it is hard even with the power off, the clutch is stuck on.

The clutch is typically a spring loaded (the spring disconnects the clutch and the electro magnet solenoid connects it) clutch that you should be able to "watch" engage and disengage by turning it on and off. It is part of the servo that is attached to your control cable via 2 bridle cables with clamps.
  • I think I have the service manual for this autopilot - I scanned the hardcopy to a PDF, which I could send on to you if that would help.

Andy