Instrumentation Lighting

2»

Comments

• Just a note, I have seen discussions that say perhaps any PAR36 lamp could be considered a suitable replacement for the GE4509 which is not a PMA product (i.e. STC not required). Similarly, the 89 lamp is an automotive instrument bulb with no PMA that piper uses in their aircraft. The 89 lamp is getting harder to find but cross reference data from lamp manufacturers will point you to other "suitable replacements". I don't see a problem using an alternate part with equivalent fit and function and doubt you would be called out on it.
  • Wouldn't the light bulbs be considered a "standard part", manufactured to a government OR industry standard and thus be permissible ??

• The plastic gear handle screws on/off of the metal shaft. It's possible that there may be a set screw as well though my 1978 PA28R-201T has none. For the rest of the lower panel, I've had to first remove the "eyebrow" pieces from the lower edge of the panel (pilot and co-pilot sides). The screws holding both the eyebrow and the lower panel point up and are hidden behind round covers about 1/2 inch diameter on the eyebrows. Also remove the landing light lenses and bulbs.

DJ