Pre-Buy

Anything out of the ordinary (compressions, ADs) that my mechanic should be looking for in pre-buy on Cherokee 140/160? Should I be overly concerned with corrorsion, and if so what areas in particular? Thanks!!

Comments

• Treat it like an annual. Certainly look at wing roots/spar for corrosion.
  • I would think if you need to tell your A&P what to look for on a Cherokee Pre-Buy then there is a problem.
    Perhaps time for a new A&P /IA. The Cherokee family would be one of the easiest to do the pre-purchase inspections on. They are popular, have been around for a while and any problem areas are well identified.
    The most difficult part may well be deciding what particular model and year you desire. Avionics fit may take a place in the decision process also.
    They are great machines and I hope the deal goes well for you.
  • Hi northup,

I had a 1964 Cherokee PA28 140/160 with Lycoming engine. It had a hollow crankshaft with an AD that required it to be inspected annually for internal corrosion. An inspection plate was removed from the front of the crankshaft. The Lycoming service bulletin called for removal and sealing after ten or twelve years. Very troubling if you are not due for a major overhaul. Check it out.

Dick
  • You just have to pull the prop to check the crank... not a big deal... The plugs are a buck...