Iphone with Wing X

I need a new phone, and am looking at the Iphone 4. Is anyone out there using this combination for gps? I know the Ipad is also available, but need phone also, thanks.

Comments

• I have Wing X Pro on both my iPad and iPhone. I have the 4S phone, but I don't think it matters. The subscription you buy lets you download the app to both the iPad and iPhone for no extra charge. I downloaded all of the VFR sectionals, low altitude enroute IFR s, and all of the approach plates for the USA onto my iPhone - it works great! I have built in GPS in the iPhone that shows the airplane ground track, but since I also have a Bad Elf GPS stick for my iPad I downlaoded the Bad Elf app to my phone so that the Bad Elf GPS stick works just by plugging it in the phone. I now have the increased accuracy on my phone also. The whole thing works great. It is legal to have your charts on an iPad and on your Iphone. You are just responsible to make sure they are up to date (You get a warning from Wing X and can download them on your phone - about 40 minutes) and your phone or iPad is working and has battery life. I bought a plug in (Cigarette lighter type for the plane) charger - both 1 and 2 amp USB - and a standard iPhone charge cord that I keep in the airplane. So now when I fly I have the iPad, my iPhone and my 396. Covers me really well. I have to also say that the legality of charts on your iPhone only just applies to Part 91 operations. Parts 121 and 135 requires FAA approval and 2 EFB's.

It all works nicely, although the screen is small, but you get the little airplane on the screen, ground speed, ETE, heading and all of that. You can still put a course line to follow if you like. I find nothing bad about it.
  • Wow, thanks for all of the info!