Archer II Door Handle

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket additional door handle to be installed in the door of an Archer II to help pull it closed before latching? I find it difficult to pull the door closed enough to allow latching at the top.

Comments

• My Archer II has an arm rest which I use to pull the door closed while pushing the lock down. I have seen some with a strap near the top of the door. However, the door should fit snuggly enough that you can just flip the latch.
  • Felix:
    I sounds like your door needs to be adjusted. I suspect your Archer II is identical to my Warrior II, in the door operation. You should be able to gently pull the door closed with the armrest, and it will catch at the latch along the rear edge of the door. Then, move the latching handle down to fully latch the door. This motion will bring the engagement tang in range at the top of the door. Finally, rotate the top latch. It should be so easy that you can easily do it, in flight, from the pilot's seat, should you take off and find you've forgotten to fully latch the door on that HOT Summer day.

VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis-ARR
  • My archer has the armrest, which I pull to close the dsoor. I typically then latch, which pulls the door closer, allowing me to lock it at the top latch. Lately, however, it has become increasingly difficult to latch the top. I can do it from the outside by pushing the door in place, but sitting outside is a NG for flying. My mechanic says there is no adjustments to be made, it is what it is. But I wondered if a handle to pull the top closed, or a strap, might not be available and what others' experience has been.
  • FM:
    The top latch is fully adjustable. Look at page 2K24 in the Service Manual. It is a simple procedure.
    Usually the latch gets out of whack when someone slams the door while the top latch is in the engaged position.
    VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis
  • The underside of your armrest is hollowed out so you can grab it and pull. What more could you need...
  • from flyguydon "...What more could you need..."

Well - if you are asking, how about a PT-6 with STC paperwork and a pre-paid fuel card for my Cherokee 6?!!!
    (You did ask...)
  • I have a friend with an Arrow IV that has a six inch vinyl strap attached to the top of the door, behind the latch. If this was original on the arrow, it may be easy for you to buy from Piper and do a 337 for installation on your Archer. I use the door handle on my Warrior and close the top first and then the front latch.
  • Thanks all for your answers. The door handle in my Archer is NOT hollowed out, which may be part of the problem. I will try adjusting the latch, if that does not work, I will research the strap.
  • When I bought my '79 Archer II the upper door handle was in bad shape to almost busted. One day I happened to be in my RV camper and once on my way out, I noticed the nice pull door handle on it. I thought, how nice it would be if it would fit the plane. I popped open the screw covers on it, removed the handle and then tried it on the planes door. To my great amazement it fit like a glove! It had the exact hole spacing as the ones in the door. I then took the handle to my local camper supplier and gave them the information on the camper and ordered another. That was in '96 and it's still 100% perfect fit with no wear showing and is still snug as a bug in a rug to the door.