Filling Up To Tabs...How Much Fuel Are In Tanks?

I have a Piper Arrow with 77 gallons total fuel capacity, 72 usable. 2 1/2 gallons on each tank is unusable.
If I fill up to tabs, how many gallons do I have?

Comments

• I too have an Arrow with the 77 gallon tanks.
    In the manual which I have, in Section 7.13 it states that the USABLE capacity to the bottom of the indicator tab is 25 gallons.

Hope this helps.
  • When I saw the original post I almost answered with what I had been told. I decided however it would be best to refer to the POH, but I never could find a reference to the capacity with fuel at the bottom of the tabs in my POH. I even looked in the maintenance manual I have for my 1977 Arrow III but could not find a reference to the tabs. I had always heard that the bottom of the tabs was 25 useable per tank but I also found internet references to the bottom of the tabs being 22.5 useable.
    I will recheck my POH and specifically the reference you gave to see if I can find it.
  • I got one of those 'fuel straws' made for my tanks. The guy on ebay('fuel stick' or similar) sells them, may have one for your model. I can see exactly how many gallons are in each tank, may not be essential, but helps a lot when figuring weight & range available. I use it often.
  • I have looked through my entire POH and it says nothing about the fuel level at the tabs. As for fuel straws, I would love to try that but have never been able to find one calibrated for the Arrow III. Only option is to purchase a generic one and calibrate it my self.
  • Thanks to all who answered. It is appreciated. I attempted to look up "fuel straws" on EBAY with no luck. Is there another source for these fuel straws?

Thanks again !!

FreeFalGuy
  • My source may not be on ebay anymore. He may not have a calibrated 'straw' for the Arrow either. He is dipstikfuelgauge.com out of Utah. He has a site that has some info.