Questions from a New Piper Owner

Hi all - I purchased a 1973 Piper Challenger in late January and have a few questions. Pardon if they're basic questions, this is my first airplane!

The aircraft came with cowling inlet plugs to keep dirt and critters out. When I'm putting my bird in the hanger after flying, I've been putting the plus in before closingt the doors. Now that warm weather is here, I'm concerned that I'm blocking in heat and perhaps should leave them out at least until the engine has cooled a bit. On a related note, should I unlatch the cowling and, if not take it off completely (tough single-handed), at least prop the back open a bit or open the oil filler hatch to let heat escape?

One other question - in the past week I've had a couple instances of a minor backfire when I tested the throttle at idle during my run-up. In both instances, I tried leaning the mixture slightly and it eliminated it, but that may have been a cooincidence. The only external difference is that the outside air temp has been in the mid 70's, 10-20 degrees higher than in February and March.

Thanks very much - any advice will be sincerely appreciated,

Jeff King
N55407 / KLHZ

Comments

• Jeff:
    Is your hangar so poorly enclosed that birds can get inside when the door is shut. If not, don't bother using the plugs. They are for keeping birds out. They won't help control mice.
    There's absolutely no need to open the cowl after flight, for cooling purposes. During the winter, if you're in a cold climate, you'll not only want to use an engine blanket when parking for short times, but you'll also want to slide some sleeves over that great big heat sink of a prop.
    Any throttle movements should be slow and smooth. A rapid movement could result in misfire, or hesitation.
    Enjoy your "new" plane!
    VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis/ARR
  • Congrats on your new bird! I, too, have a '73 Challenger. Re: the throttle, even with slow application of power, I typically get a little "hiccup" moving the handle up from the idle position (like for runup or when applying power for takeoff). I've been told by other Cherokee owners that this is not uncommon, and it's never been an issue or gotten any worse, so I have just learned to expect it.

I've never had a backfire, though, nor has the "hiccup" ever been more than momentary.
  • Thanks for the feedback - the hanger is a good one, so I'll put the plugs away unless I'm away from home and parking on the ramp.

Jeff
  • Thanks again - I won't worry about the misfire unless it gets worse. It was very minor as I was pulling back to idle - I probably pulled back on the throttle too quickly, The engine runs just fine - enjoying the heck out of the plane. Now to start saving up for some new avionics and a paint job... :)
  • Jeff,

Congrats on the Challenger, that is a great airplane and I almost purchased one when I got the Arrow. They are somewhat rare and hold value well.

Enjoy
  • Thanks T - I'm very happy with the aircraft. It needs a paint job and the interior's a bit worn, but was priced accordingly. The only gap in the avionics is no built in GPS. For VFR flying I've got my iPad, so no big deal but when I get my IFR rating I'll want to have it.

730661.html