Piper Wingtips - Original or After Market

Can you clear up a minor issue for me? I've posted a photo of my 73 Challenger's wing tips here: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/740344.html

There's nothing in the maintenance records that they were ever replaced, so I assumed they are original. But, I had a discussion with Met-Co-Aire who thought they looked like after-market tips (but not theirs).

What do you think?

Comments

• Aftermarket, not Metco.
  • Globe Fibreglass used to market tips under the same number as the Piper P/N. I could not say for sure that these may be theirs, although they do look similar.
    I have never seen an STC for the Globe product so it could have been replaced as a like-for-like item ie, having the same P/N . Not to say it is legal or indeed why the log entry is missing.
  • Thanks for the feedback - I was just curious. I plan to eventually replace them with tips w/ landing lights, but that won't happen until I get the plane repainted a few years down the road.
  • I have the landing lights in the wingtips & really like them. They are nice & bright coming in at night.
  • I, too, have the wingtip lights. Got the Knots-2-U HID version, and am very happy with them.